We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
reviews: 83
Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

I just had a realtor from Victoria tell me that the area around the Empress Hotel and Falls Condos is seedy with lots of drugs and homeless. Can anyone confirm or deny this for me. I'm trying to plan our family vacation with 3 kids. We're planning to be in the city, but I want to make sure we're not going to be in danger if we walk home after dinner out.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
21. Re: Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

I would use Sidney as a base to explore - well, Sidney, which is an attractive waterfront community with lots of used bookstores (calls itself a "booktown"). I might also use it to see Butchart Gardens. However, it is near the ferry terminal at Swartz Bay, about 25 minutes north of Victoria and really not a good option if you are going to be spending your time in Victoria, particularly with three kids.

Edited: 3:17 pm, January 22, 2013
Raleigh, North...
reviews: 83
22. Re: Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

I appreciate the input. We will probably visit up there a bit...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
23. Re: Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

Sidney is delightful. Just a 35-40 min drive from downtown Vic.

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 28
24. Re: Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

Great location and not full of druggies at all, the Realtor may have been thinking you wanted to buy, The Falls is well located for vacations, but would not be a good place for full time living. I walk tha area all the time and outside of the one drive by shooting one block down the street at 1 am not much is going on, just get home by midnight

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 7
25. Re: Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

never felt uncomfortable or afraid anywhere in downtown Victoria. As the others above posted, you will find street people in any city but we were never bothered by anyone when when were there. Empress and harbour are beautiful areas, with plenty of tourists around. My daughter and I are going to be there in May and staying downtown. We have no concerns about staying there. Enjoy your visit!

26. Re: Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

I was born and raised here. 38 years. There is absolutely no difference in seediness between the Empress Hotel area and Sidney. Your realtor is a liar. Sure there are seedy parts of Vic but even those are not dangerous. Just addicts that keep to themselves and have no clue people are there

Western Canada
reviews: 152
27. Re: Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

I had absolutely zero issues during my recent trip. In fact, the downtown in the evening is deserted except for the tourists. The homeless people that you see during the day had absolutely no contact with me at all and seemed to be gone in the evening. It is completely safe!

28. Re: Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 04, 2014