We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
reviews: 83
Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

I just had a realtor from Victoria tell me that the area around the Empress Hotel and Falls Condos is seedy with lots of drugs and homeless. Can anyone confirm or deny this for me. I'm trying to plan our family vacation with 3 kids. We're planning to be in the city, but I want to make sure we're not going to be in danger if we walk home after dinner out.

Amsterdam, The...
1. Re: Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

Realtors are usually well informed about their own area, but I can't say that I have experienced any of that during my visits to Victoria and the Inner Harbour area in particular.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
reviews: 289
2. Re: Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

First of all you will not be in danger walking back from dinner in any area of Victoria that I can think of.

The epicentre of tourism in Victoria is the Empress Hotel and the Inner Harbour. The realtor you've spoken with could not be further from correct. Yes there are street people hanging about Victoria asking for change but honestly they are not threatening or dangerous in any way. We have NEVER felt uncomfortable in Victoria save for rare occurrence of someone being a bit louder, boiterous or othewise that would be common in any city.

I have no hesitations recommending any part of downtown Victoria for you to stay in.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
3. Re: Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

I couldn't disagree more. I go to Victoria multiple times each summer and stay one block from the Empress. Compared to the homeless in Vanc or Seattle Victoria doesn't even get more than a few panhandlers that I've ever seen. I've walked all around the Empress at all times of day and nite and find it VERY safe. I think this Realtor is way off base. I wouldn't be concerned at all

reviews: 3
4. Re: Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

We were there about two years ago and stayed down by the wharf (we're WorldMark owners) and never had any problems on any of our walks day or night, unlike here in LA. We're heading back in June and bringing friends with us.

Raleigh, North...
5. Re: Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

Thanks so much everyone. That's what I figured. I suspect that the realtor was trying to get me to rent with her in another part of the city. I appreciate your input, and now I can carry on with my planning!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 46
6. Re: Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

Yes, clearly a personal agenda at work. I would agree that you will see homeless people, but it is no more dangerous than any other city. Crossing the street will remain your greatest hazard.

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 2
7. Re: Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

wow that is just the polar opposite sbsmith! Your realtor must be smoking something funny. The area by the Empress and the neighbourhood of James Bay are the farthest from seedy that I can even imagine. And you will see homeless just about anywhere you go in any city, just the way it is.

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 52
8. Re: Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

I live here and have for almost 50 years. Get a new realtor.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
reviews: 289
9. Re: Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

True dat Joan1

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
10. Re: Curious about area around the Empress Hotel

I could walk around the Empress and all the downtown area waving fistfuls of $100 bills in the air, without worry. .... Well. .... You get my drift.