We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 to 5 pm in Victoria

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson
reviews: 5
8 to 5 pm in Victoria

We are on a cruise ship spending 1 day in Victoria. We would prefer not to take the ships excursions. Any suggestions how we can see the most of the area in a short time. thanks,

Janines

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 557
1. Re: 8 to 5 pm in Victoria

I'd look at the things to do on TA and see what interests you.....it all depends on your personal interests.....I went on a whale watching tour and it was awesome, took a walk around parliament and did a little shopping while I was downtown (all in one day).....

Burlington, Canada
reviews: 29
2. Re: 8 to 5 pm in Victoria

Get off the boat and start walking....

....or have a cab take you to the Empress Hotel for high tea starting at noon.

fairmont.com/empress-victoria/…

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 52
3. Re: 8 to 5 pm in Victoria

Go to the Royal BC Museum.

www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/MainSite/default.aspx

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
4. Re: 8 to 5 pm in Victoria

Tootle around the Inner Harbour and out the Gorge on Victoria Harbour Ferries -

http://victoriaharbourferry.com/

calgary
reviews: 2
5. Re: 8 to 5 pm in Victoria

With that amount of time, you could actually get out to Butcharts Gardens. I've provided a link to the best way to get out there.

http://www.cvscruisevictoria.com/

Or as others have stated; you can spend the day wandering around the Inner Harbour.

Victoria BC
reviews: 1
6. Re: 8 to 5 pm in Victoria

I think you are right in avoiding the cruise ship orchestrated tours, which can be quite pricey. The good news is that Victoria is a very compact city. Within this timeframe, you can see a lot. It is a little over a mile to walk to the downtown area from the cruise ship terminal (depending on route). Along the way, you will see one of the oldest neibourhoods in the city. If this is too far, then there is a shuttle bus (Cruise Victoria) that will take you there for $8.00, or taxis for about the same price (CV is two way though, taxis, one way for this price).

You can see the award-winnng BC Provincial Museum downtown, take a tour of the Parliament Buildings (free), take a stroll through the historic Empress Hotel, wander through the Old Town and Chinatown, and the various trendy shops, all within a very small area. Or if you prefer, there are tour operators and taxis at the dock that will give you city tours (of varying quality- use your judgement) for a negociated price, probably much less than what the cruise ship will offer. An hour and a half is plenty to see the city by bus or car (unless one is going further afield, like Butchart Gardens), and the price should reflect this. As for the Buchart Gardens, yes they are famous, but my advice: take a slow cruise through the Rockland and Fairfield neighbourhoods. You will see fantastic gardens...for free.

7. Re: 8 to 5 pm in Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 20, 2014