We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo rentals

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta, ga
reviews: 25
Condo rentals

We are planning a trip to Victoria this summer and have located several vacation rental condos that seem to meet our needs/budget. The units are all located in the Mermaid Wharf and The Falls complexes. Is one of these properties located in a better location than the other? One has harbor views and the other doesn't. Besides that, are there any other significant differences in terms of being centrally located to the city center? We won't have a car so parking isn't an issue.

Thanks to anyone with tips/advice to share!

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 300
11. Re: Condo rentals

Johnson and Blanshard is a pretty busy area. I wouldn't count on it being too quiet.

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 2
12. Re: Condo rentals

Johnson and Blanshard would be really noisy re daytime 9-5 sort of traffic. There are couple of movie theaters in the area as well, so the after movie noise might be an issue if hubby is a light sleeper.. but no clubs or bars.Traffic would die down by 11 ish.

The Falls would have zero club noise and much less traffic as well.

Trenton, Canada
reviews: 45
13. Re: Condo rentals

Promopro, I used to live in Mermaid Wharf, I LOVED it there, never wanted to leave. It's in an excellent location close to all the action and short walking distance to everything that you would want to see. Swift St is also very quiet!

There is a place to rent kayaks just by Mermaid Wharf, people that are staying in Mermaid Wharf get a discount on renting those kayaks.

If you want any more info, just let me know!

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 8
14. Re: Condo rentals

The Falls is a much better location than Mermaid Wharf in my opinion.

There are two buildings at the Falls, North and South, if you rent a unit in the south tower you will have little to no noise from the clubs. There is some traffic noise as you are right downtown. Air conditioning is not a necessity in Victoria, but it is nice to have for that one week a year that you need it!

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 2
15. Re: Condo rentals

lots of homeless around the area of the Mermaid, just sayin'

I live in Victoria and the area around the Mermaid is not pristine.The builing in of itself seems nice but the area is less than desirable

atlanta, ga
16. Re: Condo rentals

Thanks again for the tips and advice! There are a couple of nice units in the Juliet bldg. on Johnson St. as well as at the Falls. We don't mind being around homeless people (you have that in Paris almost anywhere), but the extra walking distance from Mermaid Wharf isn't appealing since we walk to dinner whenever possible.

I'm going to start searching the threads for things to do there (and around there) this weekend. Maybe I'll hear from some of you again there ;)

Thanks again!

Trenton, Canada
reviews: 45
17. Re: Condo rentals

There are next to no homeless that are around "Mermaid Wharf" now as they moved the homeless shelter elsewhere in the city.

Right across the street from Mermaid Wharf you have a Brewpub with the most beautiful patio in Victoria, the "Canoe Club". Great place to lounge around in the Summer, enjoy a locally brewed beer and absorb all the sun.

I never had a car living at Mermaid Wharf and I went to restaurants all the time. There are several great restaurants that are just a short walk away; not to mention Victoria's small Chinatown, which is perfect for buying lots of fresh produce.

Something I really loved was the abundance of sunlight that filled my condo up during the day, there are no buildings in the way blocking out that beautiful warm sun!

It all depends what you want and need in the end.

atlanta, ga
18. Re: Condo rentals

Thanks Jordan, for the extra info. As noted in my above post, I don''t care if there are homeless people in the area besides having sympathy for them, of course. I can see from photos that the Mermaid condos get tons of light and if we were hanging out inside during the day that would be an awesome perk. Certainly it would be lovely to live in such a place ;)

My husband doesn't drink and I have celiac. So pubs are of no interest to us and we'll be dining at places chosen from the celiac scene website. This means we won't be able to walk everywhere, but that's what cabs are for. Maybe we can venture to the Canoe Club though for a cocktail to enjoy the view. Thanks for the tip!

Thunder Bay, Canada
reviews: 3
19. Re: Condo rentals

hello....we are staying in the juliet building on the corner of johnson and blanshard and we love it!!!!no noise and we are close to everything.It is also a little cheaper than the mermaid..the mermaid does look very nice too.good luck..hope this helps!!!

atlanta, ga
20. Re: Condo rentals

Hi kiwipink - Thanks so much for your post! I just completed my booking at the Juliet building. We are so excited to return to an actual vacation in July.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to share tips/advice - it all helped us immensely!