We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo rentals

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta, ga
reviews: 22
Condo rentals

We are planning a trip to Victoria this summer and have located several vacation rental condos that seem to meet our needs/budget. The units are all located in the Mermaid Wharf and The Falls complexes. Is one of these properties located in a better location than the other? One has harbor views and the other doesn't. Besides that, are there any other significant differences in terms of being centrally located to the city center? We won't have a car so parking isn't an issue.

Thanks to anyone with tips/advice to share!

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 264
1. Re: Condo rentals

Are those properties in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada? We've been to Victoria more than 30 times and this is the first time of heard of them. Not that I know the names of every condo complex in the city....

Blind Bay, BC
reviews: 5
2. Re: Condo rentals

See if this site helps you :

mermaidwharfvictoria.com/location--direction…

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
3. Re: Condo rentals

If your decision is based on location, go with the Falls.

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 2
4. Re: Condo rentals

they are very close to old town... pretty central. BUT def get a harbour view.It gets noisy down that end after the clubs empty

Edited: 8:45 pm, January 12, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 38
5. Re: Condo rentals

Hi promopro ~

http://goo.gl/maps/3xM65

The above link shows where Mermaid is (A) and where Falls is (B). You will notice that the Mermaid is north of the Blue Bridge (Johnson St Bridge) and is on the Gorge waterway, a quiet almost backwater feel to it. Enough water traffic to be interesting and some birds, such as herons who fish there. The shore up that way is what I would call undeveloped, remaining in a fairly natural state over many years. The harbour ferry has a dock nearby that you could take under the Blue Bridge and across the Inner Harbour to the wharf in front of the Empress Hotel.

http://victoriaharbourferry.com/

A VERY nice evening stroll is just over the Blue Bridge from the Delta Ocean Pointe all along the Songhees Walkway to about Head St and Paradise. Along the way is Spinnakers Brew Pub, which is wicked for breakfast. On the map following, just look at the squiggly walkway line along the waterfront. Spinnakers (harbour ferry dock nearby) is beside Lime Bay Park:

http://goo.gl/maps/KdZ3u

The Falls is a fairly new development, maybe 3 years old. It is the complex that the Chateau Victoria Hotel guests grumbled about as it destroyed any view from the rooms there! It is in centre city, one block to Government St and tourist shops as well as the Inner Harbour and the entertainment and buskers who spend their summer days there. A few short blocks to the Royal BC Museum, and Beacon Hill Park. There is a Brown's Social House (resto) on the corner - I can recommend their Dragon Bowl, Veggie burger, Hollywood Burger, Hickory Burger, but not their Quesadillas. From the Falls you can begin visiting right away, from the Mermaid, about 15 min walk into town.

Hope this info helps you to make your decision.

Edited: 9:42 pm, January 12, 2013
atlanta, ga
6. Re: Condo rentals

As evident from the other replies, these buildings/condos are both in Victoria, BC in Canada ;) Thanks for the tip about noise, but which area gets noisy when the clubs let out? That is definitely an issue for us due to my husband being a very light sleeper. I'd checked out the website for Mermaid Wharf, thanks. It doesn't shed any light about the safety or noisiness of the area, of course.

We're leaning towards The Falls as the units there have a/c and according to some reviews of the Mermaid Wharf, there is no a/c there. I'm trying to confirm that with some of the owners who rent their units there. We've had very bad luck booking accommodations without air....usually arriving during a freak heatwave where a/c is most definitely needed.

Thanks to the Vancouver DE for the map and various travel tips for the area! As for dining, I have celiac and will be dining at places listed on theceliacscene(dot)com which is run by a good friend of mine.

Our ship docked in Victoria last year and we had gluten-free fish-n-chips on the wharf. It was the best fish-n-chips I've had in over six years! The four hour visit there was much too short and the area was so lovely that we decided to celebrate my b-day there this year. We're also spending a few nights in Vancouver before heading to Victoria for a week.

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
reviews: 12
7. Re: Condo rentals

The reason for the no a/c is because it very rarely gets hot enough. It's not too often above 30°C let alone higher than that.

Both places would be noisy because of the bars. They aren't that far apart and we are a very compact city. Downtown is where most of the bars are with few exceptions.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
8. Re: Condo rentals

Agree with Breezed...we really don't think about A/C here. It rarely gets hot enough here to consider it. Bear in mind that the temperature here is moderated by the ocean (which is only a couple of hundred yards from where you will be staying) and there is commonly a breeze. Plus the humidity is no where near what you experience in Atlanta. Love Atlanta BTW!

Edited: 11:24 pm, January 13, 2013
Victoria, Canada
reviews: 2
9. Re: Condo rentals

agreed re the ac, not an issue here.

atlanta, ga
10. Re: Condo rentals

Thanks for tips about a/c ;) I found another building with some rental units available. It's located on the corner of Johnson St. and Blanshard St. Does anyone happen to know if this area is as noisy (due to clubs/bars) as the above mentioned buildings? We're not looking for something as quiet as the suburbs - just wondering if any area is slightly quieter than another while still being in/close to downtown.