We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best downtown location to live

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Thunder Bay, Canada
reviews: 3
best downtown location to live

...my husband and i will be spending 3 months in victoria this winter(he will be attending Camosun) and we have narrowed down our stay to either Johnson avenue with Victoria Royal Vacations or a small condo rental on View and Quadra....any thoughts on which is the better location for markets, buses, restaurants, safety?Victoria Royal Vacations is located at 760 Johnson Avenue...any advice is appreciated..thanks

Thunder Bay, Canada
reviews: 3
11. Re: best downtown location to live

thank you very much, you have been soo helpful, i did look at vrbo and there was nothing but i will look again...did see something for malibu place, mckenzie park which might be closer.thanks again

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
reviews: 13
12. Re: best downtown location to live

You get a bus pass with being a student. It's part of your fees. Do not live in View towers. There are a few hotels that will rent monthly which might be another option for you.

Amsterdam, The...
13. Re: best downtown location to live

Did you have a look at airbnb?

I stay in Vancouver once in a while and used to book a apartment hotel. The last two times however I booked a place on airbnb.

When I search for something in Saanich/Victoria I find some nice apartments/houses at reasonable monthly rates. Not all owners rent for long periods, but it might be a possibility worth looking into.

http://www.airbnb.com

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
14. Re: best downtown location to live

http://goo.gl/maps/wZd0u

The above link is the bus route for #21 to Camosun. Here is the route map from BC Transit. Perhaps it will help you find a place near this bus line as it seems to be a good one for getting right to the campus door.

bctransit.com/regions/vic/schedules/map.cfm…

Victoria BC
reviews: 1
15. Re: best downtown location to live

760 Johnson is the "Juliet", a new condo highrise building. Probably nice, but also on a very busy corner for traffic. The View Towers (1147 Quadra St) should be avoided by all except those doing a practicum in criminology. There are a couple of other rental buildings in the View/Quadra area that I have heard mixed reports from. This is the downtown core, and so can be tedious on Friday or Saturday nights.

Here is another site that lists furnished properties. The ones currently on the site are outside the downtown area, not really an urban experience, but they are in a pleasant residential neighbourhood. Victoria is a compact place, so getting around is usually not that time consuming.

duttons.com/furnished-property-rentals/

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 21
16. Re: best downtown location to live

Do NOT stay near View & Quadra. View Towers is there -- one of the biggest crime holes in Victoria.

Johnston is okay, but keep in mind that police and ambulance sirens blast all the time and the noise riccochets through the buildings.

I'd remove myself right from the downtown core, especially if your husband wants to study. There are a lot of places to rent closer to Camosun.

Edited: 7:09 pm, December 08, 2012
victoria, bc
reviews: 4
17. Re: best downtown location to live

Ha,ha.... VirtualTrek, You cracked me up..... " Probably nice, but also on a very busy corner for traffic. The View Towers (1147 Quadra St) should be avoided by all except those doing a practicum in criminology." The only, and I mean only plus to this location is " Grocery Plus".. A Chinese Grocery, run by a cranky woman... but ++++ with great take-away lunch specials.

Anything Upper Johnson.Yates or Fort Streets are in an area good to go... I'd suggest that you do a Google Earth "street peek"..great to get an idea of the lay of the land so to speak.

Another web site to look at would be U of Vic housing... we have had great success posting rental suites here...

http://housing.uvic.ca/offcampus/index.php

Suze

18. Re: best downtown location to live

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, December 17, 2013