We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any update on the Oak Bay Beach Hotel?

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Any update on the Oak Bay Beach Hotel?

The last I heard, the old, rambling Tudor hotel was replaced by a newer hotel-condo, which was to open this summer. Has anyone stayed there? I remember the old hotel & pub were full of charm (though a bit out-dated). The lobby was beautifully paneled & there was an adjoining terrace where they served afternoon tea during the summer. I wonder if the new version will retain the original hotel's charm? Any info/reviews would be appreciated, as I'm hoping to visit Vic in early 2013.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
2 reviews
21. Re: Any update on the Oak Bay Beach Hotel?

I am going to check it out this weekend...stay tuned

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
492 posts
200 reviews
22. Re: Any update on the Oak Bay Beach Hotel?

Dec. 2 - the hotel is now fully open. I haven't been to the Snug yet, but it looks promising. There are seven video site tours on their website, which is easy to find.

I am a local resident with no affiliation to the hotel.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
559 posts
18 reviews
23. Re: Any update on the Oak Bay Beach Hotel?

I have watched the videos and it loves amazing can't wait to visit now that it is open.

Level Contributor
2,141 posts
4 reviews
24. Re: Any update on the Oak Bay Beach Hotel?

I checked out the pictures in the local paper. I didn't like the look of the white marble fireplace in the main lounge. I thought they had taken the old fireplace down and were going to put it back up; however that white slab of marble just looked cold and uninviting to me. Will have to reserve full judgement until I can get out there and check it out in person.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
21 reviews
25. Re: Any update on the Oak Bay Beach Hotel?

The hotel is now open.

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
492 posts
200 reviews
26. Re: Any update on the Oak Bay Beach Hotel?

Just back from the Snug. The hotel is in full swing, dinner theatre looked as if it would be full. Decorated tree in lobby, dining room open. The Snug does indeed have some old elements reinstalled. And the verdict ... it's a pub. Not much different from the other high-end pubs in town (understandable, because the others are good). Reasonably good selection of local beers, a few imports. We had chowder and a Scotch egg - both good but nothing special. And shared a side of fries, maybe 9 out of 10. Prices reasonable, although some mains run as high as $26.

I'm glad they're back.

27. Re: Any update on the Oak Bay Beach Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 pm, January 10, 2013
Edited: 9:35 pm, January 10, 2013
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
8 reviews
28. Re: Any update on the Oak Bay Beach Hotel?

Went to the Snug two weeks ago. Bland decor. Poor service. The staff didn't seem well trained at all.

It was disappointing :(

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
19,174 posts
66 reviews
29. Re: Any update on the Oak Bay Beach Hotel?

Well I was TERRIBLY dissappointed in our visit to the Snug about 3 weeks ago. . and embarrassed as we coaxed friends to join us, they didn't want to go there..

I worked at the hotel back in the 80s, and my dad worked there back in the 60s, and while the hotel itself is very nice,, its not anywhere near the same.

First the Snug is not snug, its got high empty ceiling so the cozy pub feel is gone. Secondly the food was pathetic. We had a 16 dollar burger that was worth 10 bucks.

We wanted an appetizer and all that was on the menu was a deep fried pickle or a scotch egg. I understand they have added some soup and salad options finally ( they have been open for at least a month yet said they just weren't quite ready with menu yet, how long does it take to serve pub grub)

The worst though was the buffet meal they serve in the lobby. It was nasty , a hunk of beef under foil and a heatlamp, some roast pototoes and chopped winter veggies, some buns, two salads,, all sitting out unattended ( this was a sat night about 8 ) Seriously , people go to any cheap buffet place and get way better. Its so gross how anyone can just walk over to it as its in an open area next to main lobby seating area.

We will not go back, its will attract some like us will want to try it once for old times sake, be disgusted, or for tourists who don't know better , or for some old folks who live in the area and don't want to drive, they can walk to dinner.

Sorry Walkers you are messing up. Bring back more of the old Snug. .

As for hotel, yes, it is nice inside.

And staff we dealt with WERE very nice, but nice staff do not make us feel better about poor food and high prices.. there are too many other places in Victoria to eat and drink.

Edited: 1:57 pm, January 21, 2013
X-Pat in BC
Level Contributor
11 posts
76 reviews
30. Re: Any update on the Oak Bay Beach Hotel?

Just visited the Snug for the first time aout two weeks ago. I think the exterior of the hotel looks great, I haven't seen any of the new rooms. I think the new Snug is failing with locals because it has almost no "feel" of the old Snug. So what? Well, it was a local institution (for decades, the only pub for miles!), and it was loved by locals, AND (my key point) it was represented in the media that they were going to preserve the heritage of the old Snug. That is a failure. As others have mentioned, the cozy feel is gone, rendering the name ironic and irrelevant - it is cold and open. Our server was fine enough, but had very limited knowledge of the old hotel (it would've been an easily achieved "nice touch" to orient the staff) and, more eggregiously, she had no knowledge about the new hotel (Number of rooms? Nope. Ever seen the rooms? Nope.). Too bad. I think it would've been pretty straightforward to modernize the Snug while keeping up its traditions. It's change but it certainly isn't progress. Sad.