We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hatley Park and Abkhazi Gardens info

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
Hatley Park and Abkhazi Gardens info

need some local advice. I have a group that wants to visit victoria and in addition to Butchart also go to the above two attractions. Mapquest makes it look like they are far apart. If we started with Butchart what logical order could we visit and if we did it would we have any time at all to see downtown? Just curious if this even doable and yes its as a day trip from Vancovuer.

New Westminster...
reviews: 154
1. Re: Hatley Park and Abkhazi Gardens info

You'd better tell us how and when you are travelling, so we can tell how much time you have over here.

Would make little difference in what order you did them, except that you need to check the hours for Hatley and Abkhazi. Maybe do them first, because Butchart is open into the evening and I don't think the others are. But for the sake of calculation let's say you are doing Butchart first.

If you are on the 9:00 ferry out of Tsawwassen you will be driving off it at about 10:45, into Butchart Gardens around 11:10. A bit of looking around there and you'll need some lunch and you're well into the early afternoon. Allow half an hour for ticketing, washrooms, walking to and from bus, etc.

Easily another half hour to Hatley Castle. Unload, shuffle in, look around, shuffle out, reload ...

And another half to Abkhazi on a good day. Unload, etc.

And 36-40 back to the ferry. To be there some 40 minutes before the sailing.

100 minutes sailing, 15 to get off, and more than half an hour to get back into Vancouver.

Long day, but if you're keen it might be possible.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
2. Re: Hatley Park and Abkhazi Gardens info

I think you answered the question but it sounds like there is no way to do these and still see downtown Victoria. I kind of suspected the same but your timing helps.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
3. Re: Hatley Park and Abkhazi Gardens info

Well, it comes down to location vs opening hours.

It might be easier logistically to go to Butchart, then cut across Wilkinson Rd over to Hatley, then go to Abkhazi Gardens then to the Inner Harbour.

But opening hours are: Hatley Park 10-7 vs Abkhazi 11-5, last admission at 4 pm.

So, I would probably suggest doing Butchart 9/9:30-11, then Inner Harbour/lunch 11:30-2:00, then Abkhazi 2:30-3:30, then Hatley 4:30-6/7.

The guided tours at Hatley finish mid afternoon, but self guiding is possible. Abkhazi is really small. It was someone's private home and yard. Hatley grounds are really big.

My 2 cents.

Oh geez, just noticed day trip from Vancouver. Arrrgh. But I'll leave the opening hours info there.

What ferries are you catching? that's going to make a difference to a plan here.

9 am ferry,

Butchart/lunch 11? - 1:30 (Blue Poppy cafeteria is pretty good and fast),

Inner Harbour - drive through 2:-2:45 and on to Fairfield neighbourhood to

Abkhazi 3:15 - 4:15,

Hatley 5ish - 6:30

Hatley - Hwy 1 to exit 6 - cut across MacKenzie to the cloverleaf access to Pat Bay Hwy 17, 45 minutes to..

8 pm ferry

Dinner??

If you left out the cruise through downtown it would give you 45 extra minutes. Coming down from Butchart to Vic via Wallace and W. Saanich Rd to where it joins the highway is a slower, pretty, pleasant rural drive.

2 more cents, I guess

http://goo.gl/maps/diSO

Edited: 12:38 am, June 19, 2012
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
4. Re: Hatley Park and Abkhazi Gardens info

I do appreciate your inp;ut and timeing. Very helpfuly. I have a slighttly hyper neurotic group leader I'm trying to keep happy but he was given an itineray we no longer do so he is concerned.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
5. Re: Hatley Park and Abkhazi Gardens info

Well, on second look, the plan seems rather textbook. Might work for a group of 15 who could probably move along at this pace. I have a feeling though, that they will find Abkhazi Gardens a let down. Kind of a "is that all there is?" thing. You could put the Inner Harbour last to include the "get something to eat" part of it. Good luck!

New Westminster...
reviews: 154
6. Re: Hatley Park and Abkhazi Gardens info

Agree re Abkhazi. Check its website. It's fine if you set your expectations properly. Quite small compared to the others. But if you had to miss one, this would be it.

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 2
7. Re: Hatley Park and Abkhazi Gardens info

if it were me, I would to Hatley, Abkhazi, and Butcharts last. Puts you closer to the ferry and less downtown traffic snarls in the late afternoon.

8. Re: Hatley Park and Abkhazi Gardens info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:40 pm, June 22, 2013