We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pets on the Ferry

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
reviews: 16
Pets on the Ferry

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are moving to VIctoria and will be driving across the US. We are planning on taking the Black Ball ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria and wanted to know about the pet situation. It says on their website that they are allowed but does not give much more information than that. We have a cat and a dog. The cat will be in a crate. Do we leave them in the car or can we take them somewhere quiet with us up above? Does it get hot where the cars are kept in July? I do not want to leave them in there if it will be hot. I have no idea what else we can do though to get them over there.

Thanks for the help.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 46
1. Re: Pets on the Ferry

I have no experience with the Blackball, but I know pets are allowed on the car deck on BC ferries.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
reviews: 289
2. Re: Pets on the Ferry

Your pets will not be allowed up top on the passenger decks but can either remain in your vehicle, in a pet designated area on the car deck with you or on a lead walking around the car deck and with you in command. The car decks do not get hot as they are well ventilated and you are at sea. Many others have taken their pets on board so I would not worry about this aspect of your travel to Victoria.

Ontario
reviews: 16
3. Re: Pets on the Ferry

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

south padre island...
4. Re: Pets on the Ferry

We took that ferry last week and on both the to and from trips, there was dogs in the upstairs human area of the ferry.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
5. Re: Pets on the Ferry

bcferries.com/travel_planning/…pets

The BC Ferries pet policy is linked above.

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 2
6. Re: Pets on the Ferry

poster is asking about Blackball, not BC Ferries Mufti...

hellobc.com/transportationlisting/…

Edited: 1:59 pm, June 17, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
7. Re: Pets on the Ferry

Hmm, Was following up on post 1 and 2 there.

But here is the Coho pet policy. See #8.

http://www.cohoferry.com/main/?FAQ

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
8. Re: Pets on the Ferry

Hippies often smuggle their pets to the top deck-even on staid old BC Ferries.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
reviews: 289
9. Re: Pets on the Ferry

I stand corrected on my previous post on the Coho after reading Mufti's link. Every sailing I've been on the Coho there have been no pets and I was under the impression that pets were not allowed on the upper decks. Sorry for my misinformation.

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 52
10. Re: Pets on the Ferry

Your pets would be fine in your car, and thats where I would leave them. They will not get hot, you are at sea, and frankly its rarely even hot here to begin with, lol .. and certainly not at sea.