We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seatlle to Port Angeles and 9:30 PM Ferry

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Seatlle to Port Angeles and 9:30 PM Ferry

My business conference in Seattle downtown is finished at 5:00 PM on a Tuesday (July 31). Is it reasonable to think I can leave the hotel in my car and make it to the Port Angeles ferry in time to ride the 9:30 PM ferry across to Victoria? Otherwise, I would stay another night in a Seattle hotel and leave in the morning. comments and suggestions? Thank you. /G.O.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
1. Re: Seatlle to Port Angeles and 9:30 PM Ferry

Hi Geoff ~

You're very trusting to leave this WA state question to a bunch of BCers! :-)

It's going to take you between 2-3 hours to get to Port Angeles. Getting out of Seattle at that time of day is something for the Seattle Forum posters to advise you really. I do know it gets really congested, even on the freeways down there at rush hour. You also need to be there 60 min in advance at the PA terminal.

It's down to getting through and out of the city. And ...... I see you already have posted on the Seattle forum and have your question answered.

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 298
2. Re: Seatlle to Port Angeles and 9:30 PM Ferry

You'd be much better off driving north to catch the BC Ferries from Tsawassen, south of Vancouver, to Victoria (ferry actually docks at Swartz Bay, about 18 miles north of Victoria). We've visited Victoria more than 30 times with our car, and Tsawassen is, by far, our most-used option.

You're likely to have to wait until the next crossing at Port Angeles (4-hour wait), unless you're there at least a couple hours ahead of time. At Tsawassen, the BC Ferries depart every hour and the ships are twice the size of any Washington ferries. The cost is about the same.

If you leave Seattle at 5, and traffic is not backed up leaving town or at the border, you probably can get on the 9 p.m. ferry. We've gotten on arriving less than 15 minutes before departure. Do that and you'll be in downtown Victoria by 11. Bon voyage!

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
reviews: 58
3. Re: Seatlle to Port Angeles and 9:30 PM Ferry

It's not a lot of fun driving either route under pressure to make a ferry, but my choice would be to go via Tsawwassen, partly because the ferries there run hourly to Swartz Bay. You could reserve your spot on a particular sailing, but don't bother since you can't be sure which one you will arrive for, and you can't modify a reservation.

On the other hand ...

Did you know that you don't actually need to take your car to Victoria if you are only staying/visiting the downtown area before returning? That is, you could park your car in the transportation centre in downtown Port Angeles, walk a couple of blocks and walk right on the ferry. (Whereas if you drive on you will definitely need to make a reservation well in advance.)

There are many transportation options for travel between Seattle and Victoria so perhaps tell us a little more about your plans and preferences :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
4. Re: Seatlle to Port Angeles and 9:30 PM Ferry

Or take the Victoria Clipper, pax only, 3 hours, from downtown Seattle to downtown Vic.

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 298
5. Re: Seatlle to Port Angeles and 9:30 PM Ferry

I don't think the Clipper goes to Victoria after 5 p.m. The OP would have to wait until the next morning to take that option.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
6. Re: Seatlle to Port Angeles and 9:30 PM Ferry

Good catch, OregonJohn. Thanks.

There's a 7h30 and 8h30 am Clipper sailing from Seattle on Aug 1.

New Westminster...
reviews: 153
7. Re: Seatlle to Port Angeles and 9:30 PM Ferry

As others noted, driving north works, but be prepared for a nail-biting wait at the border. It *probably* won't cause problems, but you never know -- and 40 minutes in that line seems like three hours. So don't delay in getting out of Seattle. And have a sketch of a plan B just in case, such as a list of hotels in Richmond, BC.

Houston, Texas
8. Re: Seatlle to Port Angeles and 9:30 PM Ferry

Thank you (both)! Excellent advice. I really like your idea of landing in Tsawassen for the ferry. Now I'm thinking taking it easy there that evening, and moving on the ferry in the morning hours to enjoy a stop at Salt Island, then go forward to Vancouver, Island. So I just need to determine those two short legs, ferry rides, between Tsawassen and Sidney or Victoria. Would you make any suggestion on that? Again, really appreciate your first reply.

Geoffry

Houston, Texas
9. Re: Seatlle to Port Angeles and 9:30 PM Ferry

Very good. Thank you! /g

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
10. Re: Seatlle to Port Angeles and 9:30 PM Ferry

That's the way to go if you're not set on getting to Victoria the night before.

Rather than looking in Tsawwassen which is a city, here is a suggestion for a place on a quiet channel of the Fraser River. River Run Cottages in Ladner.

Here's the location. You will see the interchange of Hwy 99 and Hwy 17 to the ferry just above and center, and the spit for the ferry terminal below: http://goo.gl/maps/yxxB

The website with a link to TA reviews: http://www.riverruncottages.com/