We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth it for the upgrade to Gold level at Fairmont Empress?

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 40
Worth it for the upgrade to Gold level at Fairmont Empress?

Hi. We are booked for two nights at the Empress in early June in a Harborview Deluxe room. It is not a renovated room. If we want to upgrade to gold level to a renovated room it is $75 per night for non harbor view and $100 per night for harborview. This seems like a lot for an upgrade. Is it worth it?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 39
1. Re: Worth it for the upgrade to Gold level at Fairmont Empress?

Seems a bit rich to me. But what does the hotel say you get for that, as opposed to a non renovated room?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
reviews: 70
2. Re: Worth it for the upgrade to Gold level at Fairmont Empress?

Usually Gold level gives you a lounge access for snacks, pre dinner drinks some extra concierge services.. as Mufti says you'd have to ask. also check reviews of the hotel as there are probably some comments there

fairmont.com/empress/…FairmontGoldIndex.htm

Edited: 10:35 am, May 09, 2012
Victoria, Canada
reviews: 21
3. Re: Worth it for the upgrade to Gold level at Fairmont Empress?

There are way better hotels around for that kind of money. If you're staying there for historic reasons, then fine. If you want quality, look around. There are nicer rooms.

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 46
4. Re: Worth it for the upgrade to Gold level at Fairmont Empress?

No its not worth it,, trust me, you can get your own pre-dinner snacks and drinks for less then 100 bucks. Think about it,, you are in a city with so many choices, why allow yourself to feel you need to eat/drink at hotel to get your moneys worth.

I have stayed in the Harbourview rooms,, they are fine,, why would you pay more for "gold level" seems like an atrocious waste.

vancouver bc
5. Re: Worth it for the upgrade to Gold level at Fairmont Empress?

location, location, location. It's uniquely one of a kind you'll find nowhere else for the price.

vancouver bc
6. Re: Worth it for the upgrade to Gold level at Fairmont Empress?

Location, location, location. It is uniquely one of a kind. The empress has its own class, legacy and pride. It's more than just an icon of historical landmark. It's totaly worth your time and money if plan a short and memorable stay. Anything else longer than that, play within your limit.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
7. Re: Worth it for the upgrade to Gold level at Fairmont Empress?

The OP says "two nights in early June." Best to post to current questions for travel-to-be.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 49
8. Re: Worth it for the upgrade to Gold level at Fairmont Empress?

Thomson B....The Original Poster has come and gone a year ago.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
9. Re: Worth it for the upgrade to Gold level at Fairmont Empress?

So darn old I missed the year!! I was thinking this past week which is old enough. :-{

10. Re: Worth it for the upgrade to Gold level at Fairmont Empress?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 10, 2014