We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gardens

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, MI
Gardens

Which would be the best time to see the gardens & flowers at their best---end of June or early August.

Fremont, CA
reviews: 2
1. Re: Gardens

It is good all year as they constantly change it. I would guess the prettiest would be in spring but I was there in August and it was beautiful. I was also there in Oct. and it was pretty but somewhat limited in variety. I don't think either time you mentioned would be bad. Just be prepared for a lot of people during the summer.

Basel, Switzerland
reviews: 1
2. Re: Gardens

Definitely August because you want to see the fireworks display! It's every Saturday night, July 2nd through to September 3rd and incorporates fireworks and music in a great show!

Bring warm clothing and, if desired, a cover to sit on the ground. Plus, if you want to do it economically, go around 5pm to do the garden tour, grab something to eat from their casual restaurant (no reservations required) around 8:30pm (it will still be light out at this point, too) and then catch the fireworks without having to pay an extra ticket fee (there's no re-entry allowed on firework Saturdays...)

FIREWORK SCHEDULE IN AUGUST:

August 6 9:30pm

August 13 9:15pm

August 20 9:15pm

August 27 9:15pm

enjoy! :)

Vancouver BC
reviews: 6
3. Re: Gardens

She did ask about gardens!

I would suggest June. We often have watering restrictions here in the summer, and that can affect the plantings.

Victoria
reviews: 79
4. Re: Gardens

I think our gardens are great from late May to late September. We haven't had any problems with watering restrictions as Vancouver has--our B&B at Garden Ridge in Cordova Bay has been written up in several magazines known for its garden.

If you are specifically talking about Butchart Gardens, it's a world-class garden with its own water--no problem whatsoever. The only month I think it's a bit "down" is January. It's an absolutely lovely place to visit, but don't forget other gardens in the area: Hatley Castle garden (free) Government House (free) the Abkenazi Garden, the University of Victoria Rhododendron gardens in April (biggest in the world) and the many houses that take pride in their area through keeping up private gardens.

Just don't make the mistake of coming for only the day or for a day or two. Victoria is a City of Gardens and many other good things to see.