We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating at Butchart Gardens

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Corvallis, OR
reviews: 15
Eating at Butchart Gardens

My husband and I are planning to go to Butchart Gardens Saturday afternoon/evening to see the fireworks. I was looking at the picnic baskets available to order. Although it sounds very good, I was told the $29.75 basket is for one person, which seems a little steep to me.

Has anyone had one? Is one enough food for two, or do you really need one for each person? Is it worth the price to not have to bring your own picnic? If we decide not to do the picnic, any other recommendations for food in the garden?

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 54
1. Re: Eating at Butchart Gardens

Personally I think that is WAY too much per person. I would have dinner in town, then go to the gardens. The show isn't till dark( usaully at least 9 or 9:30 , sometimes later( I think it is ten right now, depends on sunset) so you could eat somewhere in town, then go to the gardens around 7 or 8 to walk around in the light, then wait for show.

Victoria, Canada
2. Re: Eating at Butchart Gardens

Sorry , I forgot, there is a restaurant upstairs, it is exspensive and no one really goes there unless they are a tourist, so I don't imagine it is the greatest food. Most likely fine though. They did have a cafeteria that I went to about 2 yrs ago, that was fine, and reasonable, if they still have that , they try that if you really want to eat there. I personally would have a nice dinner on the way out to the gardens. The Fireside Grill is on the way out of town and not too bad, perhaps someone else could suggest some other places..

Victoria
reviews: 120
3. Re: Eating at Butchart Gardens

Contrary to the other posts I must say that the food at the Butchart Gardens is simply top notch..the picnic basket is excellent and the restaurant is not "Touristy" but quite classy

Not sure when the last poster actually ate there but I did last week....

Victoria BC Can
4. Re: Eating at Butchart Gardens

I agree with iGuy. The food at the Butchart Garden Restaurant is very good.

Though there is no dress code the restaurant would be considered "fine dining". It is about the presentation of the food as well as the quality of the meal. I eat there freguently.

Sorry cannot comment on the cafeteria or about the picnic baskets as I haven't tried either.

Victoria, Canada
5. Re: Eating at Butchart Gardens

I am sorry, I didn't mean touristy as in tacky, I just meant most locals under 60 do not bother going there unless they have visitor as there are MANY much better restaurants in town that are not as exspensive. You pay for the location there, the food is ( as of the last time I ate there, about 2 yrs ago) just "nice" and I don't pay those prices for " nice" no matter if they have candles and table cloths, I am a bit of a foodie, and parsely and garnishes on the plate just don't fool me.

But, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and tastes do vary, I personally would never pay 30 dollars a head for a picnic, but that is just me, if money was truly no object perhaps, nah, I doubt it! LOL

PS I should note that Victorias BEST of VICTORIA lists were published recently( readers vote) and the Butchard Gardens were name for Best Attraction, but their restaurants were not named on any of the "best eating" lists. The lists are not the final word though, it just shows " popular" opinion.

Comox, Canada
reviews: 87
6. Re: Eating at Butchart Gardens

Also, besides the fancier restaurant, there are two other eateries at Butcharts. One is a cafeteria style restaurant. I think it may be called the Blue Poppy. Don't let the word cafeteria scare you though. They have hot meals, sandwiches, salads, etc. Quite a variety of food actually. If I remember correctly (we only go at Christmas time) they even serve wine and other alcoholic beverages. The other food establishment is right across from the gift store. It is basically a deli/bakery. It is the least expensive of the three places to get food and of course has the least choices. It is probably best for a quick snack rather than a meal.