We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver to Victoria and vice versa without car?

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, England
Vancouver to Victoria and vice versa without car?

We're on a hiking holiday next August which will include the Whistler and Manning areas. We arrive back via Vancouver and need to get from there to Victoria (near the harbour) for a few days. We then want to return to Vancouver airport for our flight home to UK.

We'd much appreciate some advice on the most scenic but reasonably practical way in and out of Victoria and whether we need to pre-book whatever ferry is suggested? It appears there's no bridge access. Names of specific places to board and alight would be useful.

Oakland, CA
reviews: 10
1. Re: Vancouver to Victoria and vice versa without car?

Look at www.pacificcoach.com for a bus/ferry/bus link 7 times a day from Vancouver to Victoria. No reservations necessary.

Vancouver BC
reviews: 6
2. Re: Vancouver to Victoria and vice versa without car?

You are right, there is no bridge. There likely will never be a bridge. I hope not. There is no un-scenic way to get between Vancouver and Victoria, unless perhaps you travel at night, or sleep the whole way.

If you go on the coach as the last poster suggested, you won't need to book. Either get a ticket downtown (Victoria or Vancouver) for the bus, which will take you onto the ferry and downtown on the other side, or, buy a ticket on the ferry after you walk on. You would only need to book if you were driving on, and even then you probably wouldn't need to book if you were travelling mid-week. Check out www.bcferries.com for ferry info. Be aware that this is a longer (time-wise) option. It will take about 45mins to drive from downtown Vancouver to the ferry, then 1 hr 45 minutes on the ferry, then probably 1/2 hour at least to get to downtown Victoria (this is non-rush hour timing). Allow some time for transfers and you are looking at quite some time.

The float plane is an affordable (and faster) and very scenic alternative. They are Harbour Air and go from the Inner Harbour (downtown Victoria) to Coal Harbour (downtown Vancouver). They have regularly scheduled flights and are on the web.

HTH

Fremont, CA
reviews: 2
3. Re: Vancouver to Victoria and vice versa without car?

You can fly from Victoria to the Vancouver Airport direct. I met some people that were doing that rather than going back to Vancouver. We took the float plane back and forth. It is pricey copared to the ferry but I didn't see that much of interest on the ferry and the weather was terrible. The float planes all charge the same. It was $99 each way CAD but to us it was worth it. It is almost an hour from where the ferry comes in to downtown Victoria so all in all that is about 3 hrs vrs. 35 minutes as the float plane puts you down right in the middle of Vancouver.

Victoria, British...
4. Re: Vancouver to Victoria and vice versa without car?

I suggest if you're on a hiking holiday you may want to get the bus from down town Vancouver to the Tswassen ferry terminal but walk off on the Swarts bay side (victoria side) We have a beautiful trail called the Galloping Goose Trail that starts at the ferry terminal and goesright into town.

http://www.gallopinggoosetrail.com/index.html

Willow

Victoria, BC
5. Re: Vancouver to Victoria and vice versa without car?

Another option is taking a float plane...both Harbour Air and Westcoast Air offer many flights a day from downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria and vice versa, as well as to the Vancouver airport...it's about $100 CAN each way but it's well worth it if you don't have a car and you don't want to take the bus all the way from downtown to Tsawassen (the Vancouver side) or from downtown to Swartz Bay (the Victoria side). Both are at least 1 hour trips. Just a suggestion. You can look up both companies on the net...

Basel, Switzerland
reviews: 1
6. Re: Vancouver to Victoria and vice versa without car?

I would seriously warn you to not the advice of willow re: the galloping goose! in fact, the galloping goose from the ferry terminal to downtown victoria (on foot) would take, oh....10 hours! I don't know what she's talking about!

But the rest of them are safe bets...my advice? Well, I've done it all and yes the float planes are great, but if you want cheaper, you can do pacific coach line (bus) from downtown Van - downtown Vic for under $70 return.

Note: vancouver ferry terminal is called "Tswassen" and the victoria ferry terminal (which is about a 40 minute drive into town) is called "Swartz Bay".

Have fun!

Fremont, CA
reviews: 2
7. Re: Vancouver to Victoria and vice versa without car?

Got to tell you I loved that Float plane. Took Harbour one way and West Coast the other. About the same and same price but West Coast too us back to hotel in Vancouver which saved a few bucks. Got to sit in co=pilots seat. Awesome.

VANCOUVER
8. Re: Vancouver to Victoria and vice versa without car?

Hi travellers - You can take a city bus right from the airport to tsawwassen terminal. Cost $3 avg. Ferry across 1.5 hrs Ferries either 1 hr wait or 2 hrs. to 9 pm. Cost about $10 each way. Take a bus on the ferry and go to downtown Victoria. August is the most popular month therefor the most expensive time to come. Take the Greyhound bus into Whistler in the morning and out in the evening. Whistler is squeezed by mtns. and costly. Have some oysters in Horseshoe Bay for only $7.50 a half doz. raw or cooked even Rockerfeller style mmm good - I hope you like our seafood meals. From Horseshoe Bay you have a choice of 3 ferry boats to the north part of Vanc. Island, get a 4 day pass, 7 day etc. anywhere, to the west side of the island - if you miss out on rain you are in for the most scenic trip ever. Take the little ferry out of Pt. Alberni to Bamfield. Stay a while if you are lucky on weather. Go north from Horseshoe to Gibsons Landing. If you catch good weather it also becomes one of the best places in the world for a hiker or anybody. I can get you some more places to go - links for the internet or suggestions. Norm