We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August, Air-Conditioning/ Anyone ever been to HELM'S INN?

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Honolulu, HI
reviews: 3
August, Air-Conditioning/ Anyone ever been to HELM'S INN?

Does anyone have the DEFINITIVE answer as to whether or not having AIR-CONDITIONING in our rooms is recommended for August? We will be there from the 6th til the 9th, and have had conflicting answers from the locals, so it has been tough deciding on where to stay---at first I was looking at the Royal Scot, but alas, no A/C...so now am researching and calling around to find nicer, more upscale properties with A/C, but that also have family-friendly amenities like kichen(ettes), suites, etc. Found one that looks like the best so far...HELM'S INN...does anyone have any feedback on this property? It looks great on their website, but I haven't read anything on it yetI will be traveling w/2x teenage gals and a 4 year old boy, all from Hawaii, and our summers are MISERABLE without air-conditioning...literally cannot sleep with the a/c going. Please advise...thanks!

St. Catharines...
reviews: 1
1. Re: August, Air-Conditioning/ Anyone ever been to HELM'S INN?

I've been there a few times in July/August & I've never needed my Mom to turn the AC on (I don't think they even have one?). As long as the windows in the hotel open, you don't really need one.

BUT .. that's really not definitive because I'm from Ontario & the island/ocean breeze makes me cold anyways. ^_^

Comox, Canada
reviews: 87
2. Re: August, Air-Conditioning/ Anyone ever been to HELM'S INN?

Victoria is my hometown. We now live three hours north of Victoria on Vancouver Island. We never ever had air conditioning. I cannot think of anyone that had air conditioning or does to this day. The so-called "exceptionally" hot days do not happen very often since Victoria is essentially surrounded by water. At home you can rely on simply opening the windows, because the breezes off the water are cool. Of course, your hotel/motel may not have windows that open up. If that happens, I would just keep your drapes closed and the shade would keep your room cool. However, I stress that you probably will not have really hot days in August at least to the extent that you feel the need for A/C.

P.S. We were in Waikiki last July and we didn't even have the A/C on all the time there!

North Vancouver...
reviews: 2
3. Re: August, Air-Conditioning/ Anyone ever been to HELM'S INN?

I don't know about Helm's Inn, but have stayed at the Victoria Regent several times. It is a beautiful apartment-type hotel right on the Inner Harbour. The suites are large and beautifully furnished, with full kitchens - ideal for a family. I doubt very much that you will need air con in Victoria -- the temperatures there are nothing like Hawaii in August!

as to your B.C. Ferry question, I wouldn't worry over which one to take -- they're all quite similar, with food service, ample seating, etc. The trip through the Gulf Islands is beautiful. Enjoy!