We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historic sailing, late May? Also, Friday Harbor stop over?

Which Vancouver Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
reviews: 13
Historic sailing, late May? Also, Friday Harbor stop over?

My mom and I will be going to Vancouver Island for a few days in a little over a week, and we're finalizing our "wish list" of to do items. We have 7 nights total, but aren't up to a lot of moving around (or a lot of walking around this trip, sadly), so we're in a nice rental for the week near Brentwood Bay. Considering one of our top must sees is what's on everyone's list, Butchart Gardens, that's ideally located.

I know we won't be able to get any farther north than Nanaimo or *maybe* Coombs if we don't stop to take as many pictures as we usually do, nor could we get any farther west than taking the Pacific Rim Circle. Right now, my plan has us with two (or even three! Hey, we're *right there*, so why not? :D ) visits to the Garden, see the Butterfly Center, some shopping in Sidney, visit Duncan for the Raptors and (if we can hit it while it's open) the cultural center, Chemainus for the murals, Sooke for the Potholes, Port Renfew for Botanical Beach (if we can hit the tide right...), and a couple of visits to Victoria. If there have been orca sightings on the days we're actually in the area, we'd like to do whale watching, too. If no orcas (I know the transients are early this year), we'll probably skip that. We've done whale watching in a few places now.

But what we haven't found though I've seen pictures is a chance to sail on a classic sailing ship. One of the neat ones. I suspect those are only in town for the festival that we're a few months too early to catch, but I'm wondering if there are any nearby that we might look into.....?

Also, we'll be taking the ferry from Anacortes to Sidney, and I know it stops briefly at Friday Harbor. We've been to the San Juan Islands before, and we enjoyed the shopping in Friday Harbor, but there were a few shops and galleries we didn't take the time to see. Will we have enough time while the ferry's docked to hop off, do a bit of shopping, and return to the ferry?

Thanks!!

1 reply
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 37
1. Re: Historic sailing, late May? Also, Friday Harbor stop over?

The ferry at Friday Harbor will stop long enough to unload and load cars.

Reply to: Historic sailing, late May? Also, Friday Harbor stop over?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted