We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tolfino: seashells?

Orillia.Ontario
Tolfino: seashells?

I will be travelling with my 83 yr old mother to Vancouver Is on Oct 3. She would like to stay on the west coast, gather shells & hopefully see starfish etc along one of the intertidal beaches. We will stay in this area for 2 or 3 days. Can anyone suggest a good hotel that is within reasonable walking distance to a beach where she could do these things? Would we have to rent a car to get from Victoria to the suggested destination or would other transportation be available?

Thanks for any responses.

lc

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 3
1. Re: Tolfino: seashells?

There are a wack of hotels in Tofino...the Wick, the Bset Western, as well as private condos/townhomes to rent as well. Sea life is abundant, lots of starfish, seals etc...shells are harder to come by, unless you get a storm which can wash them up.

Transport, you better rent a car unless you want to load your mom on Tofino Bus with 10 other hardy souls.

Calgary, Alberta...
reviews: 3
2. Re: Tolfino: seashells?

Once you're in Tofino, there are only about three buses a day to Long Beach, Ucluelet, etc. Betting around that area by bus, while it is possible in theory, is not convenient. My budget-strapped son and his girlfriend did it in August 2004. They LOVED the west coast of Vancouver Island, but they did say the bus thing was tough.

Boyertown,PA
3. Re: Tolfino: seashells?

I highly recommend the Long Beach Lodge just a few miles outside of Tofino. The main lodge is right on the beach or they have 2 bedroom cottages (which is what we stayed in June 2005) and just a short walk to the beach. It truly was worth every penny spent there and we would return in a heartbeat!! Not an overabundance of shells but plenty of starfish , sand dollars and very interesting peices of drift wood.

Orillia.Ontario
4. Re: Tolfino: seashells?

Thanks to you all for your input. Taking everything into account & having read a couple of the other messages pertaining to travel in this area, we are considering flying to Tolfino from Victoria, staying 3 days/2 nights at the Long Beach Lodge with rental car, & then flying back from Tolfino to Vancouver. Does this sound reasonable?

lc