We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outdoor Market & Farmers Market and Local Hang out in

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 20
Outdoor Market & Farmers Market and Local Hang out in

What is the Outdoor Market & Farmers Market in Vancouver? My husband and I have passion on food and love to explore different cusine.

I read on tripadvisor on market in Vancouver but I couldn't remember the name. Hope some can help me.

Any food that is a MUST have when you arrived in Vancouver or Canada?

Any place you recommend to go for some fresh seafood especially oyster. I want to know some local hang out restaurants or area not a touristy restaurants.

I think local experts can help.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 13
1. Re: Outdoor Market & Farmers Market and Local Hang out in

Canadian cuisine, like American cuisine, in general is very regional, focusing on local ingredients and the ethnic cuisine brought in by immigrants. Immigrant patterns in Canada, like the USA, vary greatly around Canada, so it really depends where in Canada where you'll be. I guess all I'm saying is what you MUST try in Canada depends on where you are in Canada. :)

Vancouver is very famous for its fresh local seafood and its Asian cuisine (particularly Hong Kong style Chinese, sushi, and izakaya). Wild salmon, in particular, is a local speciality, as is local halibut and Dungeness crab. Lobster, for example, is not.

Also, that market you're referring to is likely the Granville Island Public Market. www.granvilleisland.com.

If you want to figure out where all the locals are going, take a look at www.dinehere.ca - it's a website dedicated to locals rating local restaurants.

You might also want to ask your question on www.chowhound.com in the "Western Canada" forum.

I'm personally not an oyster fan, but Joe Fortes is pretty famous for their oysters, although it can sometimes be a bit touristy. Rodney's in Yaletown seems to be pretty popular and has less tourists, although it started initially as a Toronto restaurant. I've also heard mixed reviews.

Vancouver, BC
reviews: 8
2. Re: Outdoor Market & Farmers Market and Local Hang out in

There is also a list of Vancouver farmer's markets at http://www.eatlocal.org.

I have been told that Vancouver has the best sushi around - there are tons of great sushi places to chose from!

I too am not an oyster fan, so I can't help there...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 3
3. Re: Outdoor Market & Farmers Market and Local Hang out in

Markets: As BCRobyn mentioned, Granville Island Public Market. Also worth a drive is the Steveston Market, in Richmond, but not sure if thisis a summer market, but a great place to buy fish right off the boat.

Seafood restaurants abound, try C, Kettle of Fish, Blue Water Grille (has oyster bar) Joe Fortes (oyster bar), The Cannery, Salmon House on the Hill, or the Beach House in Dundarave.

Miami, Florida
reviews: 333
4. Re: Outdoor Market & Farmers Market and Local Hang out in

I've heard there's a very nice public market on the north shore, frequented by locals, reachable by ferry from Canada Place.

Saskatchewan
reviews: 31
5. Re: Outdoor Market & Farmers Market and Local Hang out in

The market on the North Shore is the Lonsdale Market, right on Lonsdale Quay. It is easiest reached by the Seabus, which is run by the public transit authority (Translink.bc.ca). It leaves from Waterfront Station, adjacent to Canada Place. The trip over is fun, and the market is worth seeing.

6. Re: Outdoor Market & Farmers Market and Local Hang out in

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, August 23, 2009