We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Cruisetour Holland America Line

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Westbury NY
reviews: 12
Alaska Cruisetour Holland America Line

Well I'm still mulling a cruisetour versus doing it ourselves . We are looking to arrive in Alaska the last week in July of 2007.

What I was looking at was the 11 or 12 day Cruisetour South Bound where you begin with either an 8 day or 7 day land tour followed by a 4 night Cruise from Skagway to Vancouver.

What I liked was a shorter cruise and longer land segment. I'm not sure if I could combine my own land tour with the shorter cruise.

Has anyone had any exp with this tour or line?

By cutting back from a 7 night cruise to a 4 night cruise what sights are we missing. The 4 night cruise Departs from Skagway goes to Glacier Bay National Park , Ketchikan, Inside Passage scenic cruising & arriving at Vancouver. How does this compare to the regular 7 night Inside Passage or Gulf of Alaska Cruise?

The the 11 day trip would be:

1 ANCHORAGE, ALASKA

2 McKinley Explorer® rail to Denali National Park

travel aboard Alaska Railroad. Arrival at Denali National Park transfer to resort-style lodge.

3 Denali Tour and McKinley Explorer to Fairbanks

Travel up to 53 miles of the Denali Park road, on narrated Tundra Wilderness Tour. Later, reboard Alaska Railroad route a National Scenic Byway. Arrive in Fairbanks .

4 FairbanksThe sternwheeler Discovery riverboat cruise

5 Explorer Coach to Beaver Creek - Yukon Rendezvous Dinner Show (included).

6 Explorer Coach to Whitehorse

7 Whitehorse to Skagway; embark on cruise

8 Glacier Bay Scenic Cruising

9 Ketchikan, Alaska

10 Inside Passage scenic cruising

11 Disembark in Vancouver

Any help/input would be appreciated.

Marty

Westbury NY
1. Re: Alaska Cruisetour Holland America Line

The other tour I was considering was

Day Port

1 ANCHORAGE, ALASKA

Alaska Railroad route for leisurely sightseeing, fine dining and gracious service. transfer to Denali Park lodge

3 Tundra Wilderness Tour, McKinley Explorer to Fairbanks

official narrated park tour (6 to 8 hours) reboard the award-winning McKinley Explorer for travel to Fairbanks. Overnight in city.

4 Explorer Coach to Tok via Alaska Highway

At Gold Dredge No. 8, a National Historic Site, view the mining exhibits, pan for gold and enjoy a hearty miner's lunch (included).

5 mv Yukon Queen II cruise to Dawson City

Travel the Taylor Highway from Tok to Eagle and tour this National Historic Site and the visitor center for Yukon-Charley Rivers National Reserve. Then embark Yukon Queen II catamaran and cruise the "River of Gold." Arrive this evening in Dawson City for an overnight stay .

6 Optional Dawson City and Tombstone Park adventures

On optional Tombstone Park excursions, join local interpreters and explore natural marvels two billion years old. This remote region is blessed by wildlife and dramatic landscapes. Or opt to explore Dawson City, a Klondike National Historic Site.

7 Explorer Coach to Whitehorse

Sightsee along the Klondike Highway past Five Finger Rapids on the Yukon River (lunch included). Whitehorse,

8 Whitehorse to Skagway / Embark your cruise

9 Cruising Glacier Bay National Park

10 Ketchikan, Alaska

11 Inside Passage scenic cruising

12 Vancouver, B.C.

Marty

Westbury NY
2. Re: Alaska Cruisetour Holland America Line

The other tour I was considering was

Day Port

1 ANCHORAGE, ALASKA

Alaska Railroad route for leisurely sightseeing, fine dining and gracious service. transfer to Denali Park lodge

3 Tundra Wilderness Tour, McKinley Explorer to Fairbanks

official narrated park tour (6 to 8 hours) reboard the award-winning McKinley Explorer for travel to Fairbanks. Overnight in city.

4 Explorer Coach to Tok via Alaska Highway

At Gold Dredge No. 8, a National Historic Site, view the mining exhibits, pan for gold and enjoy a hearty miner's lunch (included).

5 mv Yukon Queen II cruise to Dawson City

Travel the Taylor Highway from Tok to Eagle and tour this National Historic Site and the visitor center for Yukon-Charley Rivers National Reserve. Then embark Yukon Queen II catamaran and cruise the "River of Gold." Arrive this evening in Dawson City for an overnight stay .

6 Optional Dawson City and Tombstone Park adventures

On optional Tombstone Park excursions, join local interpreters and explore natural marvels two billion years old. This remote region is blessed by wildlife and dramatic landscapes. Or opt to explore Dawson City, a Klondike National Historic Site.

7 Explorer Coach to Whitehorse

Sightsee along the Klondike Highway past Five Finger Rapids on the Yukon River (lunch included). Whitehorse,

8 Whitehorse to Skagway / Embark your cruise

9 Cruising Glacier Bay National Park

10 Ketchikan, Alaska

11 Inside Passage scenic cruising

12 Vancouver, B.C.

Marty

Kamloops, BC...
3. Re: Alaska Cruisetour Holland America Line

Marty --

I've travelled the coastal route and the Alcan several times. First - Get a big and detailed map of Alaska. Second, decide if this is a once in a lifetime trip, or if you'll go to Alaska again. It wouldn't hurt to get a copy of Milepost, the mile by mile guide to the Alcan Highway. I expect that some of what you want to see may involve the upper extent of the Alcan.

Use the map to plot out the various tours - using a different colour for each one. Then with a good guidebook to Alaska - double check which of the various segments you can duplicate and ascertain which ones you cannot. Then it's a simple matter to decide whether or not you're willing to miss whatever you cannot duplicate.

BTW - you don't make clear whether any of your land segments involve the White Pass and Yukon Rail connection. If this is an option, be sure to take it .

4. Re: Alaska Cruisetour Holland America Line

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, August 20, 2009