We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to rent a car for a weekend in Vancouver?

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
reviews: 2
Do I need to rent a car for a weekend in Vancouver?

My wife and I will be arriving in Vancouver (from Victoria) Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday evening. If we plan to stay in the city, would you recommend a car(the hotel we're staying at is in Yaletown)?

We're undecided if we'll leave the city proper, though I winder if it would make to rent one if we visitCapilano.

Thanks!

Calgary, Alberta...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Do I need to rent a car for a weekend in Vancouver?

It would be a good idea to devote one day to Vancouver's centrally located attractions (Stanley Park, Granville Island Market, Robson Street and Yaletown where you'll be staying). In July 2006 my husband and I did all of that on foot. We're mid fifties, and I think quite ordinary when it comes to fitness (neither particularly fit nor particularly unfit).

If you want to use it, downtown Vancouver does have a good public transportation system.

Some people also like to use one of the hop-on / hop-off tourist buses that do a circuit of the centrally located attractions.

Capilano Canyon is accessible by public transportation. But then I personally prefer Lynn Headwaters Regional Park. Like Capilano Canyon, it's located in North Vancouver, and it's also accessible by public transportation. Lynn Headwaters Regional Park has a suspension bridge over a canyon that is FREE. It's located inside a beautiful temperate rainforest with delightful walking trails. But if you want a theme parky experience, then go for Capilano Canyon.

The only thing that might cause you to think twice about using public transportation to get to and from North Vancouver would be if the bus service was less frequent on a Sunday.

If you want to find out how to get from A to B in the Greater Vancouver Area, go to TransLink's website and then click on the link to Trip Planner near the top right hand corner. Use the specific date on which you want to use public transportation, because the website will take Saturday and Sunday schedules into consideration.

http://www.translink.bc.ca/

Hope that helps.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
2. Re: Do I need to rent a car for a weekend in Vancouver?

No need for a car.

Capilano Suspension Bridge is-as I've said many times in the past-a tourist trap of the tackiest variety.

3. Re: Do I need to rent a car for a weekend in Vancouver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, August 17, 2009