We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lynn canyon vs. capilano suspension bridge?

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
reviews: 8
lynn canyon vs. capilano suspension bridge?

which one did you like better? I'd like to try and visit both but lynn canyon is weighing out as being the winner if i end up not having enough time (i'll be working there for a month) it seems to be more accessable by public transport and is free.:) how safe is it, though to go there by myself? are the trails fairly easy to handle? which one am i more likely to get better pictures at?

thanks,

Jess

Calgary, Alberta...
reviews: 3
1. Re: lynn canyon vs. capilano suspension bridge?

Hello jessicat1982,

Capilano Canyon is deeper than Lynn Canyon. That said, the two suspension bridge experiences are quite similar. Capilano Canyon is no more difficult to reach by public transportation than Lynn Canyon is, so that should not be a factor in choosing between the two.

As far as an overall experience is concerned, Lynn Headwaters Regional Park, which includes the Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge, is my favourite. The paths in the forest are easy to walk, and I would have no hesitation in doing so on my own during the day.

Since the two experiences are relatively similar and since there are so many OTHER things to see in the Greater Vancouver Area, I would not rush to visit Capilano Canyon if I were you. After you've exhausted the other possibilities, which I very much doubt will happen in bits of time snatched here and there over a month, THEN you might consider visiting Capilano Canyon. To be quite honest, once you're in Vancouver and your wish list of other sights grows and grows, I suspect Capilano Canyon will fall off your radar screen.

Once you're in Vancouver, I'm sure you'll speak with people who actually live there. That is the best research tool of all.

new jersey
reviews: 7
2. Re: lynn canyon vs. capilano suspension bridge?

Hi Jessicat1982.

I was in Vancouver over Labor Day weekend. Like you I had been torn between Lynn Canyon and Capilano Bridge. In the end I chose Lynn Canyon because it was free, easy to get to via public transportation (the bus drops you off right at the entrance to the park), and came highly recommended by locals.

I visited Lynn Canyon alone (I am a 32 year old female who hikes regularly). I did not feel unsafe at any time and found the trails to be very easy to handle. As long as you stay ON the trails you should have no problem.

I arrived at the park around 9:00am. I believe you might prefer to arrive earlier as well as the bridge and park were fairly quiet this time of day making photography on and of the bridge very easy. (Later in the day the park filled up and the bridge became quite congested)

It is a really lovely area with great photo opportunities. I hope you enjoy whatever you decide to do!

Vancouver
3. Re: lynn canyon vs. capilano suspension bridge?

Hello Jess,

More great advice from Judy (whom I'm starting to think is more of a Vancouver expert than a Calgary expert). Funny thing... just this morning I was thinking about giving Cap Bridge out as a recommendation rather Lynn Canyon and wondering which is actually the better suggestion for people.

To add to Judy's comments, the Cap Bridge has just undergone an addition of a "treetop" walk, which is quite interesting - see www.capbridge.com. It also has interpretive trails and activities, gift shop, etc. It is "kept up". It is also fairly pricey... I think. The rate seems to have skyrocketed lately, but that is probably to cover the renovation of the trails and also to cover the cost of their employees.

Lynn Canyon is more "wilderness'y". I also has great hiking trails. I would say it's not quite as grand as Cap Bridge.

I suggest your choice depends on whether you like touristy and landscaped (still natural, though), or wild. No doubt both are beautiful.

Vancouver
4. Re: lynn canyon vs. capilano suspension bridge?

Oh, one more thing... there is a bus that stops directly in front of Capilano Suspension Bridge. It is very easy to get to and the easier of the two from downtown. Also just read comments from goldrushbrides (cute name) and reminded me of another tip: the Cap Bridge has constant watch over the bridge and will not allow anyone to sway the bridge... Lynn Canyon is unattended and if you get roudy kids (or adults) there they might sway the bridge. This may or may not affect your decision... I know as kids we LOVED to sway the bridge (to scare my dad).

VB

new jersey
reviews: 7
5. Re: lynn canyon vs. capilano suspension bridge?

The last poster brought up something I hadn't thought of...people DID sway the bridge when I was at Lynn Canyon. This did not bother me but scared many of the people walking in front and behind me. It will also mess up your pictures ;-)

I hadn't realized the ease of bus transportation to both locations. That's great for those of us who shun rental cars during trips!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 13
6. Re: lynn canyon vs. capilano suspension bridge?

If you really want to be technical, the Capilano Bridge is wider and longer and sways in a way that it tilts to the right on one step, and then tilts to the left on the next step. I also recall that you walk along smooth wooden planks, about 4 planks wide. It's smooth enough that you could hypothetically, ride a bike across it.

The Lynn Canyon bridge is narrower and seems to sag a bit more, so it's not as level. It's still well-maintained, but it has a completely different sway to it. Instead of a left-right tilt, the Lynn Canyon bridge has more of a subtle trampoline bounce to it, so you feel more of an up-down movement on it than you would from the Capilano Bridge. However, since the bridge is more narrow, you can hold onto both railings at one time, unlike the Capilano Bridge, which is too wide to do that. Unlike the Capilano Bridge, the Lynn Canyon bridge has ladder-like steps built into the walkway (kind of like a dock). Hypothetically, you wouldn't want to ride your bike across it.

Both bridges from the planks to the railings are covered with chain link fence so there's no way to fall off the bridge unless you hauled yourself over the side and jumped off.

Technicalities aside, the major difference between the two is that Capilano Suspension Bridge is a gated tourist attraction on a forested private plot of land while Lynn Canyon is a regional park without gates in a much larger forest.

Capilano is a full-on tourist attraction with admission gates, period costumes, historical displays, restaurants, gift shops, historical interpretations, and 7 additional suspension bridges in the tree tops at the other side of the main bridge. It's a family-friendly tourist attraction. Think theme park. Think $27 admission for an adult.

Lynn Canyon gives you more of a local experience, more nature, and more scenery... the suspension bridge is secondary. At Capilano, the bridge is the main attraction and everything else is secondary. You can spend one hour there, and then you'll want to leave. At Lynn Canyon, you could spend over 2 hours there easily.

Personally I'd just opt for Lynn Canyon.

reviews: 1
7. Re: lynn canyon vs. capilano suspension bridge?

The Capilano Suspension Bridge is far superior in my opinion. Lynn Canyon is difficult to find, a long hectic hike on unforgiving trails and the river below is quite dangerous should you stumble into it while walking along one of the trails. At capilano there is a much more controlled environment and the price though steep is necessary to employ the fantastic people that work there, maintain the beautiful and pristine nature of an attraction that sees more than 5000 people on a busy day. if you're from out of Canada, I would say see Capilano rather than Lynn Canyon.

reviews: 29
8. Re: lynn canyon vs. capilano suspension bridge?

I jsut spotted this in Georgia Straight's best of Vancouver edition, and although it doesn't answer your question, Jessicat, it might be interesting for BC residents who feel they're getting ripped off by Capilano's prices:

For the price of a single day’s admission, B.C. residents can visit Capilano Suspension Bridge year round by buying a resident’s pass good for unlimited visits. An adult pass is $23.95, youths (13 to 16) are $14.95, kids (six to 12) are $7.95, and under-sixes are free. Other benefits include discounts for accompanying guests and at on-site restos and gift shops.

9. Re: lynn canyon vs. capilano suspension bridge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, August 24, 2009