We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help choosing between 3 hotels

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Help choosing between 3 hotels

Hi guys,

My wife and I will be visiting Vancouver for the 1st time next October for 4 nights and we are really having difficulties splitting/deciding between 3 hotels & would really appreciate some input if possible.

So the 3 hotels & room types options (with prices) are:

1. Pan Pacific (Harbor view room) - $530

2. Fairmont Waterfront (Standard room) - $785

3. Shangri-La (Superior room) - $865

I've gone back and forth between these hotels, but I really can't split them as it's hard to tell from photos etc. going by the photos, pan pacific looks the least attractive/classy compared to the other two, but then it most likely will offer us the best room? (And at the cheapest rate). While the other 2 look a bit classier (again, I know photos can be deceiving) but the room types appear to just be regular room which most likely won't give as nice views.

To add to that, I don't know which area is better out of the waterfront locations vs the shangri-la.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated, so we can move toward making a decision.

Thanks a heap guys.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 113
1. Re: Help choosing between 3 hotels

Pan Pacific is oldest. Fairmont Waterfront is not the newer more upscale Fairmont Pacific Rim a block away.The Shangri-la is closer to central for shopping. If I were guaranteed a waterfront room I'd take the Pan Pacific. If I could get a Pan Pacific suite like the one Princess Di stayed in, well that would be pretty nice. My order of choices 1) PP, 2) Pac Rim, 3) Shangri-la (which isn't anything special to me except big bathrooms) and way down the list 4) Waterfront (which is not really waterfront).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 13
2. Re: Help choosing between 3 hotels

Shangri-La's in a more interesting area because it's steps away from shops and restaurants. The Pan Pacific and the Waterfront are across the street from each other, next to a sterile (but beautiful) conference area.

Have you looked at the Fairmont Pacific Rim? It might be the happy medium for what you're seeking.

Sydney, Australia
3. Re: Help choosing between 3 hotels

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the input. Yeah I've looked into the pacific rim. If I could get that place at these sort of prices for our dates, it would definitely be my first choice, as I think it looks a lot nicer than the rest. Unfortunately it's like ~$600 more four or dates.

The room we can get at the Pan Pacific for $530 I assume is a water front room as well it shows regular rooms for approx $80, then it shows "harbor view rooms" (with a photo of a water front view). After that it goes up to premier rooms, which from what I understand are corner view rooms.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 13
4. Re: Help choosing between 3 hotels

Have you also looked at the Westin Bayshore? They also have waterfront views, and the property feels like a resort. It's next to Stanley Park, steps away from the restaurants on Denman Street and Robson Street, and will give you a taste of actually living in Vancouver.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
reviews: 90
5. Re: Help choosing between 3 hotels

Interesting comments.I'm going to be at the Waterfront this weekend so will post review..have booked a corner room. Have stayed at Pan Pacific and yes the views are better as it is truly right on the waterfront..but it's also a larger hotel..right above cruise terminal and convention center.

I think the area down there is less "sterile" than it used to be with more hotels and restaurants. I prefer the location of both PP and Waterfront to that of the Shangri-la as you are much closer to the seawall and you're still very close to shopping etc..have eaten at the Shangri-la and was underwhelmed to say the least.

Pacific Rim does look marvellous and gets rave reviews but I couldn't justify the extra $$$ for a short staycation. Waterfront has been doing some upgrades and renos as it's also older but not as old as the PP. FWIW Waterfront had(has) resident dog/s that you can take for a walk if you're missing pets LOL ( not sure if they still have this program)

so I'd put Pac Rim, Pan Pacific, Waterfront and then Shangri-la..but be sure it's a complete Harbor view at PP and preferably facing west towards Stanley Park or North to the mountains rather than east which is more towards the working harbor.

Edited: 4:23 pm, December 19, 2013
Sydney, Australia
6. Re: Help choosing between 3 hotels

BC_Robyn - We did look at the Bayshore, but it also came in at around the same price as the pacific rim for out dates (for a harbor view room, with the regular rooms being a little bit cheaper).

Traveller47 - That's actually pretty cool re the resident dogs. This will be toward the end of our 50 day trip, so I will absolutely be missing my babies by this stage (will be missing them from the moment I hit the first destination really. lol).

To be honest, i'm not sure if its a complete harbor view. Going by the photos, for that room type description (on the pan pacific website), it appears to be, but as it is through a 3rd party, I guess there's no really way of knowing for sure until we arrive. I can see that it is only 1 step down from the corner/premium rooms though, so that has to be a plus.

Yes, If I see the pacific rim come down to around the same pricing as the Shangri-La for our dates, I will jump on that. But I have been watching it closely on a number of websites for the last couple of weeks, and it doesn't seem like it is going to move that much.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
reviews: 90
7. Re: Help choosing between 3 hotels

if you join Fairmont Club they have monthly specials which they will email to you. Free to join..you do get free wifi which they charge for..so Pac Rim may come up.

8. Re: Help choosing between 3 hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 21, 2014