We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June or September for visiting

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Rapids...
June or September for visiting

Trying to plan my wedding and honeymoon and I'm unsure if it would be better to go to Vancouver in the beginning of June or the beginning of September, someone told me that June sees a lot of rain so you wouldn't be able to see the mountains and I read somewhere else that July and August are busy seasons and lots of tourism. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

15 replies to this topic
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
1. Re: June or September for visiting

September definitely.

Grand Rapids...
2. Re: June or September for visiting

Can I ask why September over June? My fiancé is an avid hunter/fisher outdoors guy so anything to help my case for a September wedding would be great!

Edited: 6:53 pm, August 29, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 37
3. Re: June or September for visiting

In September you will very likely get more stable weather. June can be dodgy. Sam's the fishing and outdoors expert but I think you need to state what fish, and whether fresh water or salt, your fiancé will be looking for. Hunting with your own guns? Better find out the Canadian laws around that. Or go with a hunting guide? But you're not going to get any hunting around Vancouver. AFAIK, that kind of outfitter thing occurs about 5+ hours drive from Vancouver. Happy to be wrong about that.

Edited: 7:16 pm, August 29, 2013
Grand Rapids...
4. Re: June or September for visiting

We wouldn't do any hunting or fishing there, at least I hope not, I was just talking about the hunting and fishing seasons here. June is basically an off season here, but if September is a better time to go I would rather make that work verses chancing the weather in June.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
reviews: 69
5. Re: June or September for visiting

You could make your new husband happy by spending some honeymoon time at one of the great fishing lodges...:). I'm slightly prejudiced as went fishing for my honeymoon. But there really are some amazing spots where you can enjoy the beauty of BC wilderness and still be in very comfortable accommodation.

September is definitely the time to come...June is totally unreliable weatherwise

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 14
6. Re: June or September for visiting

September's almost always dry, warm, summery. It's really quite lovely. June can be cold, wet rainy.. or warm and summery, but often it's a gamble. There's a bad phrase around here that we often throw around in June, and it's called "June-uary".

Saying that, my birthday is June 5th, and out of my 30+ years of living in Vancouver, June 5th is almost always gloriously sunny and hot. My birthday almost always includes a picnic or a patio. It's the following weeks that end up being a mix of depressing grey and drizzle interspersed with beach weather.

July, August, and September are traditionally gorgeous - ideal wedding/honeymoon weather. Of course, there are abnormalities (like this very moment, it's raining in Vancouver) - but in July, we went for an entire month without one drop of rain. August and September are often similar, providing drought-like conditions, usually. June, less so.

Edited: 8:00 pm, August 29, 2013
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
7. Re: June or September for visiting

Salmon will be running in local rivers in September if that helps.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 37
8. Re: June or September for visiting

June is freshet and we are prone to quite serious flooding in some areas. It can also lead to road-closing landslides.

I'm with T47 - surprise your new husband with a few days at a fishing lodge, preferably one with a spa. If you don't want to fish, you can enjoy a bit of RnR time to yourself.

Vancouver, BC
reviews: 78
9. Re: June or September for visiting

Avoid the June Gloom. September is, in my view, probably the best month to be in Vancouver. However the law of averages often catches up with you. This year as mentionned, not a drop of rain in July but a forecast for a wetter thsn normal September. We shall soon see.

As for hunting, in Vancouver while fishing is very okay, there are carnivores in this city who like to believe that any meat they eat died of old age. Even super Soakers at the playground will get disapproving looks from the other moms, nothwithstanding that the "weapon" is coloured purple and lime green. The greatest threat to your personal safety in this town could come from having an NRA sticker on your luggage. We are not a gun friendly town (and IMO, we are better for it.)

Grand Rapids...
10. Re: June or September for visiting

How is it there in August? Maybe more towards the middle, I know it's the tourism season but apparently the date I was originally thinking in September may not work, it's bear hunting season here September 12 and that takes a lot of preparation haha

Reply to: June or September for visiting
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted