We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gulf of Georgia Cannery

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 7
Gulf of Georgia Cannery

My husband and I will be spending 4 nights in Vancouver, then 2 in Victoria, and finally 1 night at the Vancouver airport to catch an early flight out to Philly. We will be there in mid August. Since we might want to spend a day in Whistler and also visit the Gulf of Georgia cannery, does it pay to rent a car? If so, is all driving on the right side like in the states?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
reviews: 69
1. Re: Gulf of Georgia Cannery

Driving is same side. Rent a car for the day you visit whistler.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
2. Re: Gulf of Georgia Cannery

The Gulf Of Georgia Cannery, and the surrounding village of Steveston, is close to the airport, and is accessible by transit. Its a very cute and worthwhile area to visit for a few hours. (Its also the location of Storyville from the TV Fantasy "Once Upon a Time" if you watch that show). That would be a good destination for the end of your trip. Whistler is an easy daytrip to the north of Vancouver, in the opposite direction from Steveston, so I hope you weren't thinking of those being all on one day.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 39
3. Re: Gulf of Georgia Cannery

It is also possible to take Greyhound or Pacific Coach Lines to Whistler. Both take about 2.5 hours. Spend 4-5 hours around Whistler then take the coach back to town.

www.pacificcoach.com

www.greyhound.ca

Pacific Coach is also very convenient to get between Vancouver and Victoria.

Public transit can get you to Steveston in an hour. Canada Line - Richmond Brighouse direction, from downtown Vancouver to Brighouse Station (25 min). Then transfer to the #401 or #410 to Steveston (25 min).

Parking is expensive here in the city at street metres, in off street parking lots, at many hotels.. It can be difficult finding parking. So you do have alternatives if you prefer not to drive.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 99
4. Re: Gulf of Georgia Cannery

While transit is easy to Steveston parking is free at Steveston and you can rent a car the day you are using it to avoid any hotel parking costs. Steveston is a good lunch stop. I'd visit Steveston the day you're staying near the airport.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 43
5. Re: Gulf of Georgia Cannery

Hey Vancouverite...it's "Storybook" not "Storyville". :-) I don't watch the show, but I have a niece who does and I was corrected in no uncertain terms when I mistakenly called it Storyville as well.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
6. Re: Gulf of Georgia Cannery

Oops. Actually, now that I read your post, I think its actually "Storybrook"... (Ah, Wikipedia says "Storybrooke")

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 43
7. Re: Gulf of Georgia Cannery

There you go! We both stand corrected....

8. Re: Gulf of Georgia Cannery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 26, 2014