We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental vancouver/victoria

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kitchener,ontario
reviews: 14
Car rental vancouver/victoria

Hi

My husband and I are coming to Vancouver for 8 days at the end of May and beginning of June.

We are staying in Vancouver for 5 nights first and will not be renting a car. We are than leaving to go to Victoria for 2 nights. We wil probably take the float plane over to get there and than

the ferry to come back maybe.

Now on our last day in Victoria when we leave, we are going to leave early. We have nothing planned for that day so we would like to rent a car and drive the Sea to Sky highway and see some sights. We have reservations in Vancouver for that night so we would be coming back to downtown Vancouver.

Now my questions is- Do we rent a car at the ferry dock once we get back to Vancouver or

do we go all the way downtown to Vancouver than rent it there?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks Kim

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
1. Re: Car rental vancouver/victoria

Rent downtown-there is no car rental @ the ferry dock-very little of anything in fact.

Amsterdam, The...
2. Re: Car rental vancouver/victoria

If you mean the ferry dock in Tsawwassen, then that wouldn't be an option since there are no car rental agencies on that location. From the terminal you can take the bus(Pacific Coach Lines) to Vancouver.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
3. Re: Car rental vancouver/victoria

Pacific Coach Lines will take you from downtown Victoria to downtown Vancouver in 4 hours. Luggage out of the way in the hold. Comfortable, reliable, more convenient than by public transpo and ferry. I think I have read on the forum that there are car rental locations near Pacific Central Station.

www.pacificcach.com

Also note that it is a 4 hour journey by vehicle/ferry anyway, 45 min to rent the car, 2 hours to drive to Whistler, 1 hour to drive to Squamish.

kitchener,ontario
4. Re: Car rental vancouver/victoria

Thanks

Kim

kitchener,ontario
5. Re: Car rental vancouver/victoria

Hi again

I did not want to waste time. I thought that we could rent the car on Victoria and take ferry over than once off ferry , drive the sea to sky highway.

We would return the car the next morning to YVR airport.

Does this make sense?

Thanks Kim

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
6. Re: Car rental vancouver/victoria

Yes, that makes sense. If the Sea to Sky highway is your destination, you might want to drive up island to Nanaimo and get the ferry across to Horseshoe Bay. This would put you on the correct side of the city for the drive up to Whistler.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
reviews: 91
7. Re: Car rental vancouver/victoria

You may find the drop charges excessive. Have you considered doing the ferry to Victoria and the float plane back? This would give you the entire day to do the Sea to Sky as you can rent from Canada Place very near the float plane dock. Another option is fly from Victoria to Whistler , rent a car there and drive one way back along the sea to sky. Drop charges should be considerably less.

kitchener,ontario
8. Re: Car rental vancouver/victoria

Thanks for the options.

I wil see what hubby says:)

Kim

kitchener,ontario
9. Re: Car rental vancouver/victoria

It looks like with Avis. If we rent for two full days and pick up in Victoria and drop off at airport, it is around $400 CDN. That is with everything included even LDW.

Kim

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
reviews: 91
10. Re: Car rental vancouver/victoria

Yu still have to add $82 for the ferry. I'dfly. Victoria to Whistler for $273 and rent in Whistler to drive back. Rental for 24 hrs from Whistler one way should be about $175. This would give you an amazing flight into Whistler ( I've flown over the route in a small plane and it's spectacular) plus let you drive back on the sea to sky. The drive from Victoria to Nanimo will be about 2 hrs. Wait time for ferry 1/2 hr assuming a reservation..crossing time 1.5 hrs. So you're in Horseshoe Bay at about 1:00. Still lots of time to do the drive butthe scenic ferry crossing is the one crom Swartz Bay to Tswassen. The Nanaimo to HSB is open water mostly with distant mountains.

Just giving you other options ideas. Imo $400 for the car is way too much