We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which trip w/ an 8 yr old...Vancouver? Banff? Cape Breton?

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 28
Which trip w/ an 8 yr old...Vancouver? Banff? Cape Breton?

Posting this question on the three different forums in question, so I apologize for anyone who is reading it twice (or thrice)...

We are considering a summer trip to Canada and having trouble narrowing down the destinations, they all sound so wonderful. I've read the "Where should we go?" tips in the FAQ section and it just added to my indecision. :)

We're 2 parents with a child who will be 8 at time of trip, traveling in July or very early August, flying out of Atlanta. Our son is pretty easy to entertain and is an adventurous traveler.

We'll have 7 or 8 nights to spend in our destination of choice. We are OK with renting a car, though public transport is always a plus.

We like outdoor activities such as hiking, swimming and watersports, good (casual) food, dramatic scenery, beach and/or mountains, historical sites and generally a laid-back atmosphere. We enjoy museums and culture as well, but they are not a must.

My husband prefers to limit our "home base" lodging to no more than 2 places (flying into Point A and staying for a few days in one hotel, traveling to Point B and staying a few days in another hotel, then returning to the first spot to fly home).

Here are the tentative itineraries we have tossed around. Given the time of year (i.e. weather) and our interests/needs, I would love any advice about which sounds like the best match.

1. Fly into Vancouver and spend 3-4 nights, take the train to Whistler and spend 4-5 nights, return to Vancouver for a final night before flying home.

2. Fly into Calgary, spend 2 nights, drive to Banff/Lake Louise for 5-6 nights, return home from Calgary.

3. Fly into Halifax for 3 nights, drive to Cape Breton Island for 4-5 nights, return home from Halifax.

Thank you in advance!

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
11. Re: Which trip w/ an 8 yr old...Vancouver? Banff? Cape Breton?

"I can’t get Atlantic lobster here"

Here's a place down on Granville Island with tanks full of them-I was just there 20 minutes ago

http://lobsterman.com/

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
12. Re: Which trip w/ an 8 yr old...Vancouver? Banff? Cape Breton?

Thanks sam for that link - that's great. Next time I am there I will swing by and pick some up. Very costly but it’s great to know I can get a fix once in awhile. Yummy – looking forward to it.

Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 28
13. Re: Which trip w/ an 8 yr old...Vancouver? Banff? Cape Breton?

Thank you again for the advice, everyone! I think we've chosen Cape Breton for this trip for several reasons, but we're planning to visit Vancouver in the future. Can't wait to get there someday!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 46
14. Re: Which trip w/ an 8 yr old...Vancouver? Banff? Cape Breton?

I love love love! Cape Breton. Have a great time!

15. Re: Which trip w/ an 8 yr old...Vancouver? Banff? Cape Breton?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 07, 2014