We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer from cruise to Vancouver Airport

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bridport, United...
reviews: 12
Transfer from cruise to Vancouver Airport

Later this year I will be taking a cruise to Alaska starting and finishing in Vancouver at 7.00 am. It is my wish to catch a flight from Vancouver Int airport at 11.25 am the same day. I would be grateful to be advised of the best and quickest methods of transport from ship to airport taking into account that it will be on a Sunday. Many thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
1. Re: Transfer from cruise to Vancouver Airport

Hi there,

It is easy to get to the airport from the cruise pier but that is not what catches my eye from your post.

Assuming you are flying back to the UK, you need to allow ~2.5 hours at the airport in tourist season, especially a Sunday, to check in, go through security and get to your gate. You really need to be at the airport by 8 am. It is possible you will be off the ship by 8 am, so your schedule is too tight. You really should book a flight out later in the day by 3 hours or so.

Taxis will be queued up outside the ship terminal, along with other queuing passengers. Once your taxi is on the way, it takes about 35 minutes and about $35 to the airport.

If you are heading to the States, you should be at the airport no later than 10h00. am.

Bridport, United...
reviews: 12
2. Re: Transfer from cruise to Vancouver Airport

Thanks so much for the info.

I am actually flying from Vancouver to Las Vegas. I have also now spoken to the cruise line and they have advised that I can book priority embarkation from the ship due to the connecting flight.

Do you believe this is possible as it is the only direct flight that day and is at a more competative price?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
3. Re: Transfer from cruise to Vancouver Airport

Priority embarkation would allow you a good lead on getting away from the pier in a taxi and even better if the ship berths on time.

Yes, I would take a taxi. The driver will drop you outside the door of the US departure check in area. 40 metres in you will check in, then drop your bag, go through security and finally US Customs where there will be a process for non-Canadian passport holders.

Usually I allow 90 min to get from airport door to gate. But you are doing this on a Sunday (busier travel day) in tourist season and you are a non-Canadian passport holder. Allow 30 min for the taxi queue, 30 min for the taxi ride, 90-120 min for security and US Customs pre-clearance and 10 min to walk to you gate. You will fill out American paperwork as a non-Canadian passport holder.

By my maths, this would have you getting beyond US Customs by ~10 am at the earliest with some flex time to use if necessary. I would even say 10h30, but still in good time to catch a plane to the States.

Edited: 2:36 pm, January 05, 2013
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 153
4. Re: Transfer from cruise to Vancouver Airport

Depends on luggage. If light enough I'd take Canada Line.

Vancouver, Canada
5. Re: Transfer from cruise to Vancouver Airport

The Canada line is actually quite perfect for your route. You take one transfer. But as stated you have no time to spare and you best take a taxi IMO.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
6. Re: Transfer from cruise to Vancouver Airport

Transfer? If the ship lands at Canada Place the Canada Line is a few hundred yards for wheeled luggage and faster than a taxi.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
7. Re: Transfer from cruise to Vancouver Airport

Aah, now you would benefit from some clarification. And I agree with "depends on luggage." The Canada line platform is 300 metres away. There are two approaches. 1. is to walk out of the Pan Pacific/Cruise Ship area. Stay to the left sidewalk for 30 metres or so to the Waterfront Station shelter and go down to the train platform. Walk to the far side of this platform and up the escalator. Take a right through the glass swinging doors and cut across off to the right of the big hall to the elevator down. Buy your ticket. Walk through the tunnel to the platform. 2. Walk out as above, and continue south on Howe St to Hastings. Turn east to Granville where you will find the transit shelter and entry down. Buy your tix. Continue down to the platform. There are elevators.

If you're up to walking and have one roller suitcase, it's doable.

8. Re: Transfer from cruise to Vancouver Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 pm, January 06, 2013
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
9. Re: Transfer from cruise to Vancouver Airport

www.vanlimo.ca/…

mildew@spin.net.au
reviews: 30
10. Re: Transfer from cruise to Vancouver Airport

Thanks AlegreVancouverBC for the information.

No idea why the mods removed my post though and I can't find anything in the guidelines I breached *scratches head*