We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good ski resort within 6 hrs of Vancouver for non-skiers?

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 1
Good ski resort within 6 hrs of Vancouver for non-skiers?

Hi all,

So my girlfriend and I wanted to head somewhere this winter for a ski resort type of weekend trip. Trouble is she doesn't ski while I am an avid snowboarder. We had gone to Whistler for a weekend last year and it worked out quite well - we both went on the slopes for the first day, and the second day she enjoyed herself @ the resort we stayed at with an outdoor hot tub, spa amenities, enjoyable shopping in the town of Whistler and other non-skiing related activities while I had a day to myself and the mountain.

We want to try another mountain this year within a reasonable driving distance - can anyone comment on any other ski resorts around with amenities similar to what we had experienced last year?

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
1. Re: Good ski resort within 6 hrs of Vancouver for non-skiers?

Go to Sunpeaks...

http://www.sunpeaksresort.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 37
2. Re: Good ski resort within 6 hrs of Vancouver for non-skiers?

http://www.goski.ca/ski-resorts/BC/index.asp

http://britishcolumbia.com/ski/

You could browse through the ski resort information on the above websites.

Vancouver, Canada
3. Re: Good ski resort within 6 hrs of Vancouver for non-skiers?

We went to Sun Peaks a couple of years ago and I was very pleasantly surprised. It reminded me of Whistler 20 or 30 years ago. Still small, but very nice. And you aren't all that far from Kamloops if she wanted to head into town for anything. We stayed at the Delta, which has a really nice pool with a good view of the slopes and a spa.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
4. Re: Good ski resort within 6 hrs of Vancouver for non-skiers?

Ditto...Vancouverite! It's reminiscent of the old Whistler...that's why I like it. It's good for a weekend or a few days...don't know if I could a week there though...

Had the worst hotel experience of my life at the Delta hotel there, though...and I am a 70 or 80 room night a year business traveller.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
5. Re: Good ski resort within 6 hrs of Vancouver for non-skiers?

Mount Washington fits OP needs http://www.mountwashington.ca/

Vancouver
reviews: 59
6. Re: Good ski resort within 6 hrs of Vancouver for non-skiers?

Sun peaks is a great suggestion if you have a helicopter. We went a few years go and the drive from Vancouver in the winter was a total gong show. It took 8 hours to get there because of the conditions...cars off the road everywhere. I no longer board but my fam does and I say with conviction that you should do whistler again. Sun peaks is still an infant....you will tire of the stroll after 20 minutes. Has major potential but not there yet.

Vancouver, Canada
7. Re: Good ski resort within 6 hrs of Vancouver for non-skiers?

Travel anywhere in the province at that ime of year will be affected by bad weather conditions. it took us about 3.5 hours to get there.

I would also look at Big White and Silver Star. I Haven't been to either resort in years, so I don't know what they are like, but the close proximity to either Kelowna or Vernon would provide some distraction.

Vancouver
reviews: 59
8. Re: Good ski resort within 6 hrs of Vancouver for non-skiers?

What I liked about sun peaks was that we had a condo that accommodated 8 of us....with a jacuzzi outside to boot for the same price as a studio in the village at whistler. I have also stayed at the delta for a board meeting retreat in the summer. (No complaints...decent place) outdoor skating rink was fun...as well as the number of "ski hosts" who know the runs well. We had some old guy "ski host" introduce himself...we spent the day with him. Total blast. Sun peaks has lots going for it but the village life for a non skier boarder... Yawn.

Vancouver, Canada
9. Re: Good ski resort within 6 hrs of Vancouver for non-skiers?

Yes, its much smaller. Doesn't have anything near the number of options that Whistler has, for sure.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 3
10. Re: Good ski resort within 6 hrs of Vancouver for non-skiers?

Sun Peaks, Silver Star or Big White...or maybe hit the Island and go to Mt Washington...all of these are small resorts, nothing big like WB. Personally Sun Peaks is my choice although I have not been to Silver Star.