We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Football, Baseball, Soccer

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london, uk
reviews: 7
Football, Baseball, Soccer

Are the pro sports teams (Lions, Canadians, Whitecaps) worth watching?

Do they get big crowds attending?

Is it easy to get tickets on the day of a game?

Thanks

1. Re: Football, Baseball, Soccer

The Whitecaps and Lions have been pretty popular this season... and apparently are quite good (I am not a big sports fan - but I live with one)... As far as tickets go, I am not sure about the Whitecaps, but you could almost definitly get Lions tickets same day (purely because BC Place - where they play - is so large).

As for the Canadians, the games are fun (for the fact that they are cheap, and its a beautiful park, especially on a nice day) -- but they are basically just one step up from you local high school team...

Check out their websites for ticketing info/game schedules/etc:

http://www.whitecapsfc.com//

http://www.bclions.com/

http://www.canadiansbaseball.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 13
2. Re: Football, Baseball, Soccer

I agree with MissLexa's summary of the three teams.

I've never been to Lions games before, although many people go, especially since the NHL was on strike. For those that grew up watching Canadian football and Grey Cup matches, the BC Lions would be exciting to see. However, they don't attract the same local following that say, Man U does in Manchester, or Leeds United in Leeds. It isn't as popular as American football in the USA, where the sport practically borders on religion.

Ditto for the Whitecaps. If you've been to any English Premier League games in the UK, know that the Whitecaps games are a much, much, much smaller scale and aren't as enthusiastically supported in the same manner. The games rarely sell out, and the Swangard Stadium's quite small, but it's nice - just off Central Park in Burnaby. Bleachers on one side, although most people stand in the area behind the goals or on the side of the field. You have a handful of die hard fans yelling obsenities at the opposing teams, but I've never seen it get rowdy. I've been to several Whitecaps games several years ago... they were always fun, but very low key. It's like you're going to a local university and watching their home team. And once again, I stress, if you're expecting it to be similar to any UK league, you might find it underwhelming.

MissLexa said what I would have said for the Canadians.

There's also the NHL - the Vancouver Canucks, as they're going to be off strike next season, apparently. If you're looking for a team to watch where the sport practically borders on religion for Vancouver residents, the Vancouver Canucks would be the team to go see. Fanatical followers and huge energy. Unfortunately, the tickets would be the most expensive out of the other sports teams.

Dublin
3. Re: Football, Baseball, Soccer

I will be in vancouver from the 1st to 6th of september... is there any american football or ice hockey games on then...my boyfriend would love to go