We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak from Vancouver

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hervey Bay, Qld...
Amtrak from Vancouver

Hi, we will be in Vancouver next year and plan to take the Amtrak from Vancouver to San Francisco, we are going to book a roomette. We are a couple of 65yr olds, but pretty healthy and active. Couple of questions I have, how soon do you think we should book it? (we want to travel on it mid May 2006), and has anyone any info about the journey? I believe it is very scenic. Also, on the train in a roomette it states "all meals supplied", is this so and if so does anyone know what the meals are like?

Calgary, Alberta...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Amtrak from Vancouver

Hello hairygrandad,

I've never been to Oregon, but I understand its coastline is just gorgeous. But then you, living where you do, would be no stranger to gorgeous coastlines. :-)

I looked up the Amtrak timetable here:

www.libertynet.org/dvarp/Amtrak/w_costar.html

The thing that would worry me about the schedule, if it was my trip, is that the train appears to travel through the very southern part of Oregon and Northern California up to Sacramento through the night. I would consider it a shame to miss the scenery through which I travelled in darkness.

I assume you're aware of the night travel because you've chosen to book a roomette. It's true that you'll still see Puget Sound, the Cascade Mountains and the Willamette Valley, as you will pass through those areas in daylight. But you'll miss the other bits.

Another place that you won't have time to explore is Portland, Oregon. My husband has been there on business, and he's fond of it. He says it's in a delightful position overlooking the Columbia River. According to an Internet search, its population is a little over half a million. I bet it's worth a day, if you can spare the time.

I'm wondering if you'd be willing to drive through Washington, Oregon and Northern California, so you can see the entire route in daylight -- again if time permits.

I hate driving in large cities with which I am unfamiliar. I hate doing that even more when I'm driving on what feels to me like the wrong side of the road. However, once I'm out of the big cities, I find driving easy, regardless of whether it's on what feels like the correct side or the wrong side. I'm a really cautious driver, so if I can do it I believe just about anyone can do it. I'm belabouring that point just in case the prospect of driving on the wrong side of the road is what is holding you back from renting a car for the Vancouver - San Francisco stretch of your journey.

If no one else answers your questions about this train on the Canada forum, perhaps you can re-post your message on the United States forum where more people with relevant experience may have a chance of seeing it.

Hope that helps.