We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lively pubs/coktail bars/discobars for mid twenties

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
reviews: 74
lively pubs/coktail bars/discobars for mid twenties

wil be in vancouver for 5 days and wondering where is best to go out. dont want to go anywhere too young or no offenc to anybody too studenty. Also we will be there on a monday and tuesday night as well as the weekend is there anywhere that would be busy on week days? Thanks for any help

British Columbia
reviews: 1
1. Re: lively pubs/coktail bars/discobars for mid twenties

75% of all downtown bars are on Granville street so you definately have your pick. The Roxy is very popular and caters to twenty-somethings. There is also two or three other bars within walking distance of The Roxy.

Pub wise there are many in the downtown area as well. Off hand one of the nicest ones would be The Lennox at the corner of Granville and Robson. (Robson street is our Rodeo Drive, many shops, restaurants and pubs) There is a sports bar on Robson street called Mahoneys. Pool tables, good food and TV's to watch the game of the moment.

Let me know if I can answer anymore questions for you.

Enjoy your stay in Vancouver.

PS. There is ALWAYS something going on during the week as well as on weekends.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 3
2. Re: lively pubs/coktail bars/discobars for mid twenties

Go to Cactus Club in Yaletown...as the previous poster said, Granville Strip has a number of bars, e.g. the Roxy for dancing and carrying on, the Granville room for some cocktails and extensive beer selection, or McDoolin's or whatever it's called on the corner of Granville and Nelson.

3. Re: lively pubs/coktail bars/discobars for mid twenties

ditto to what the previous posters said about Granville Street -- that is where the bulk of the night clubs are... and suggestions for good ones to pick would depend on what type of vibe you are interested (ie - casual, up-scale, etc.)

On Granville there are also a couple of lounge-type places

- Speakeasy (http://www.straight.com/content.cfm?id=10839)

- Granville Room (http://www.granvilleroom.ca/)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 13
4. Re: lively pubs/coktail bars/discobars for mid twenties

I'm a 25 year old female, and I too don't look for clubs that are too young/studenty... although I find a lot of the Granville Street clubs are exactly like that - they attract a lot of people in their late teens and early 20's and kind of feel like frat clubs. If you're into the frat club environment, Granville Street might be up your alley, but if you're looking for something a bit more laid back or something a bit more sophisticated, there are better options than Granville Street!

Personally, I find that the nightclubs on Granville Street cater to the same crowd... or they have famous clubs, such as the Roxy, but the Roxy isn't really a club I'd recommend to anybody, unless you like 40 year old men and 18 year old girls. Granville's a lively street, and it's where a lot of Vancouver's nightclubs and pubs are situated, but there's not exactly a lot of variety between what the venues offer. It's essentially one big meat market. Paris Hilton clones, etc.

First, to get an idea of what kind of nightlife scene Vancouver has, you'll want to skim through a copy of the Georgia Straight newspaper when you're here. It's the free weekly arts & entertainment newspaper. It lists everything going on in Vancouver for that one week. www.straight.com is their website. They'll have all the club listings, concerts, live music, dance, art galleries, poetry, classical, restaurant, musicals, etc. It's an excellent resource for Vancouver's nightlife.

For nightclubs in general, www.clubvibes.com is excellent. It's a website used by local DJs, promoters, and those who are passionate about local clubs. They have their own Vancouver forum on there where you can ask more specific questions. You'll likely get 10 times the results there than on here.

Some of my favourite clubs:

Mod Club on Friday nights @ Honey Lounge (at the Lotus Hotel - corner of Pender and Abbott).

Shine (on the corner of Richards, Water and Cordova) - www.shinenightclub.com

The Lotus (second club in the Lotus Hotel)

For lively pubs, there are some, like Doolin's, or the Lennox, which are on Granville Street.

In Gastown, there's the Irish Heather, which is the local gastro-pub. I guess being from Ireland, you won't find it any different from home... but it's not one of those cheesy faux-Irish pubs... it's pretty dead-on as far as being authentic, as it's owned and run by the Irish! http://www.irishheather.com/ih_main.html is their website.

If you're looking for a very popular club where the dance floor is packed, there's a live band, and the place is packed wall to wall, you can try the Blarney Stone, also in Gastown.

The Cambie is a local dive, but it's extremely popular. It's an old saloon located at the bottom of the Cambie Hostel in Gastown, and, while it's famous for being gritty and cheap, it has a really care free atmosphere... all kinds of people, all different ages end up at the Cambie.

The Atlantic Trap & Gill on the corner of Seymour & Davie Street. It's the local hangout for all Atlantic Canadians in Vancouver... people from Canada's east coast. Definitely a unique atmopshere, and always friendly and fun. If you're looking for seafood with your beer (all you can eat fish & chips, a bucket of clams, etc) - that's the place to be.

If you're into brew pubs, the Yaletown Brewing Co on Mainland Street in Yaletown is great. They have both a restaurant and a pub, with a really nice patio. Excellent food too. markjamesgroup.com/restbrew/…yaletown.html is their website

As well, Steamworks Brewery (www.steamworks.com) and Dix BBQ & Brewery (www.markjamesgroup.com/restbrew/dix/dix.html) are also excellent local brew-pubs which serve great food.

For cocktail bars, there are several that I'd recommend.

First, the neighbourhood of Yaletown, which is in the south-east corner of downtown Vancouver, tends to cater to the 25+ crowd, and has a lot of trendy lounges and bars. Opus Bar at the Opus Hotel (http://www.opushotel.com/opus_bar.html) Bar None (http://www.barnonenightclub.com) , Section 3 (www.sectionthree.com), Glowbal Restaurant's lounge "AFTERglow" (www.glowbalgrill.com) are just some of the placce where you can go and lounge out to some good music, some appetizers, and some great cocktails (often with large martini/cocktail lists).

Outside of Yaletown, Zin Lounge at the Pacific Palisades (http://www.zin-restaurant.com), The Alibi Room (www.alibi.ca), Crime Lab (on Melville at Jervis), Jupiter Lounge (on Bute off Davie), Balthazar (www.balthazarvancouver.com) and Subeez (on Homer and Smithe) are excellent for loungey cocktail bars. They also serve really good food.

Those are some of the places I frequent as a local 25 year old. Granville's fun when you go with a group of friends, but if it's just yourself, or you and someone else, you might want to check out some of the places I've mentioned above.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
5. Re: lively pubs/coktail bars/discobars for mid twenties

Oh! One more pub I forgot to list: The Railway Club, upstairs on Seymour and Dunsmuir. It's the local live music pub. The Media Club is another place for live music. Their websites are:

http://www.therailwayclub.com

http://www.themediaclub.ca

Dublin
reviews: 74
6. Re: lively pubs/coktail bars/discobars for mid twenties

Thanks for all your help!Cant wait to go!

Atlanta,GA
7. Re: lively pubs/coktail bars/discobars for mid twenties

Thank you BC Robyn!! I will be in Vancouver August 11th-17th and the lounges/clubs you mentioned sound great. Before, I was focusing on Granville St. but from your description, it sounds like the kind of atmosphere I am not interested in. In fact, it sounds like Atlanta's Buckhead, lots of frat boys, mardi gras beads and Barbies. (I live in Atlanta). Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
8. Re: lively pubs/coktail bars/discobars for mid twenties

You're very welcome!

stmaartengirl - Atlanta's Buckhead sounds exactly like Granville Street ;)

It's kind of funny. A few weeks ago I remember reading a local newpaper article where they came up with the scenario of tourists walking around lost in downtown Vancouver along Granville Street, asking where the best local clubs were, and how almost every local gives the same answer (The Roxy), by default... not because it's any good, but mostly because it's the first thing they think of... it's almost instinct. But when it comes down to it, I find that the more interesting venues that tend to focus on good varied music, quality drinks, and good energy/atmopshere, tend to be elsewhere in the city. Not far, but not necessarily along the Granville strip.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions about the local nightlife... what I wrote above was relatively brief, but definitely a quick introduction to what Vancouver can offer.

Atlanta,GA
9. Re: lively pubs/coktail bars/discobars for mid twenties

Thanks for the offer! - I prefer lounges to night clubs, and live music to DJs (unless it fits with the atmosphere and allows for some conversation!). The restaurant you suggested, Zin, looked great. Balthazar looked fun too. If you have time to suggest other places that you like similar to those or could mention a few of the places you like for indie music or singer/songwriters, that'd be great! I'll be in Vancouver Aug. 11th-15th. I love blues - everything I've read suggests the Yale, do you know of any other blues clubs? I also love wine - it'd be fun to try some B.C. wines while I'm there. any good places for wine tastings? Thanks, Lisa

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
10. Re: lively pubs/coktail bars/discobars for mid twenties

If you prefer lounges to clubs, then definitely stroll through Yaletown in the evening... it's more of the loungey environment there.

Zin is really fun... it's decor is bright orange and red, very 60's retro but fun. They have a restaurant and a lounge in 2 separate but neighbouring rooms, so you can go there just for drinks if you want. That's just off Robson Street.

Tribeca is another lounge, located on Seymour Street downtown, which might be fun. A friend of mine used to spin there... indie music, and there would be somewhat of a gathering of eccentric individuals, but I don't think they offer the same event anymore.

I also realized that I gave you the wrong URL for the Alibi Room - www.alibiroom.com

For a fun indie music night, do check out "the Mod Club" night at Honey Lounge, on the corner of Pender and Abbott in Gastown. It's a pretty happening swanky lounge, with chandeliers, high-back couches, low tables/seats, and people dancing all through the night. Mod Club is the name of the event, and it only happens on Friday nights. Well worth it. Tons of fun!

Richards on Richards is a great live music venue... saw a bunch of bands there within the past year: Turin Brakes, Iron & Wine, Ima Robot, Franz Ferdinand, Stars, The Walkmen, Peaches, etc. You have to purchase tickets to see shows there. Note that when they don't have live music playing, they're just your regular generic nightclub.

The Commodore is another venue for live concerts... although I find it to be a bit cavernous. Like Richards on Richards, you have to purchase tickets to enter. "House of Blues" owns the place, but there's nothing particular bluesy about it.

The Yale is known for blues... I actually live down the road from there! I walk by it often, and while surprisingly I've never been inside, I do know it's one of the oldest venues in the city (noting that Vancouver has only been around since the 1880's!). They have a calendar of events outside of the Yale, so you'll get to see what

If you like live jazz at all, there's Capone's... an Italian restaurant/lounge in Yaletown.

There's also the Cellar, which my sister enjoys quite a bit (I've never been). The Cellar is south-west of downtown Vancouver in the Kitsilano (Kits) neighbourhood: http://www.cellarjazz.com/

If you want to check out local indie bands, or small touring indie bands... singers/songwriters, do check out the calendar of events for the Media Club and the Railway Club, which I listeds previously.

Also, Commercial Drive might be a cool place to explore for laid back cafe culture at night. Some places are more loungey than others (ie: Wazubees), but it's a neighbourhood full of cafes that have singers/songwriters, live poetry, etc. Cafe Deux Soleil, and Bukowski's might be worth looking into.

For wine... hmmm. I love wine too! However, I can't off the top of my head think of any particular wine bars. My dad's a wine enthusiast... teaches wine education, and generally has a better idea of where to go for wine. A lot of places around town do have good wine lists, including wines from BC's Okanagan valley (the major wine-producing region). I'll ask around and I'll let you know!