We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay Vancouver to Revelstoke

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
reviews: 40
where to stay Vancouver to Revelstoke

We are planning a road trip and have had lots of great tips from some of you guys out there. We have made a few changes to our itinery . For now, I am seeking advice on a nice town to overnight on the day we leave Vancouver for the Rockies. We are thinking Revelstoke. Just really wanted to check whether this is a good bet or is there some other wonderful place we should stop at out there. Looked on the web and as far as I can tell Revelstoke is in a pretty area and seems to be the kind of place where you could enjoy an evening stroll. Just looking for confirmation. We can spare two nights at this point on out trip. Is there two days of sightseeing in the Revelstoke area or should we move on?

Calgary, Alberta...
reviews: 3
1. Re: where to stay Vancouver to Revelstoke

Hello kane-04,

If you have a night to spare, I recommend that you spend it in Kelowna. Just as mountainman said in your previous discussion thread, it would be nice to drive to Kelowna via Manning Provincial Park and Princeton.

Then you could spend the next night in Revelstoke. You could reach Revelstoke by driving from Kelowna north to Vernon and Sicamous. At Sicamous you would turn east to Revelstoke. That would take only 3 hours.

However, there are a few things to see once you got to Revelstoke, e.g., the Meadows in the Sky Parkway in the national park just outside of town, the Revelstoke Dam, and the railway museum if you think that would interest you.

For the hour that you'd be driving to Sicamous to Revelstoke you'd be on the rather busy TransCanada Highway (Hwy #1).

There is another, less-travelled way of reaching Revelstoke from Kelowna. That involves driving north to Vernon, as in the other case. Oh yes, by the way, in either case, it's worth stopping to look at the colours in Kalamalka Lake near Vernon.

At Vernon, turn east towards Needles. At Needles you'll need to do a short ferry ride that is free. No reservation is required (nor is a reservation even possible, as far as I know). Continue east to Nakusp.

At Nakusp turn north and drive to Galena Bay. At Galena Bay do another short ferry ride that also is free. Again, no reservattion is required or even possible.

Continue to Revelstoke.

The long way is double the length of the Sicamous route. Going via Nakusp takes about 6 hours. The extra time is only partly attributable to the two ferry rides. The Nakusp route is more circuitous.

If you're willing to do the longer drive, it will show you an area that not too many outsiders visit.

I do not recommend that you spend 2 nights in Revelstoke. I believe one will be enough.

Alberta,Canada
reviews: 16
2. Re: where to stay Vancouver to Revelstoke

If you want to stay in/near Revelstoke, I recommend the Hillcrest-Coast hotel. This is about 5 km east of Revelstoke and is a very nice mountain getaway only a few minutes from downtown. There is no pool but the rooms are very nice and the service is very high calibre.

As far as sightseeing, I would suggest that you take a short drive (10 minutes) and go up to the Revelstoke Dam for a tour. Very beautiful and well maintained facility (also a nice place to cool off on a hot day - interior temp is 13 C)

Bournemouth, UK
reviews: 6
3. Re: where to stay Vancouver to Revelstoke

One place to stay would be Griffin Lake Lodge, just west of Revelstoke - it's easy to miss when searching. We're there later this month and from the look of the place would love to stay two nights and have a quite day there in between.

Unfortunately, we have only two night from Banff to Vancouver and the second night is going to be in Kelowna as we need to be at Vancouver airport late afternoon on the third day.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
reviews: 80
4. Re: where to stay Vancouver to Revelstoke

We live in Penticton(town of Peaches and Beaches). speaks for itself!! Because lakes at both ends of towns. Have you heard of the IronMan? Held here end of Aug.

We are about 4-5 hour drive from Vancouver and Kelowna is another 1 hour north. Revelstock is about another 3 hours past Kelowna. SO Vancouver to Revelstock is a Long haul,even if you go another route.

Kelowna and Penticton and Vernon are well worth the drive,as you follow chains of lakes. Called wine country ,because lots or vinyards , and lots of orchards.

If you go this route you will go over the spiral tunnel (CPR)Canadian Pacific Railway. before Revelstock. Well worth stopping to see.

Cheers

Lancashire, England
reviews: 40
5. Re: where to stay Vancouver to Revelstoke

I have just returned from doing a tour of the Rockies and stayed at both Revelstoke and Kelowna. Both are delightful places to stay. I was knocked out by Kelowna it has a very mediterranean feel to it. Revelstoke also worth a visit, we stayed at Griffin Lake Lodge and would highly recommend it although it is 27 km from Revelstoke. I am afraid I found the Dam tour boring! but the males in the party enjoyed it.

If you go to Kelowna I would highly recommend Mission Hill wine tour - excellent! We stayed at the Wine and Country Suites run by a delightful lady called Bev, you would not be disappointed if you stayed here, I can't recommend it highly enough.

I would say stay in both places if you can - but you will find one or two nights won't be long enough you will want to stay longer!