We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking the Pacific Rim Trail - do we need a guide?

Which Tofino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Frederick, MD
reviews: 3
Hiking the Pacific Rim Trail - do we need a guide?

I've heard that to find the best, most remote parts of the Pacific Rim Trail we should have a guide. Otherwise we'll be on pavement or the beach. Can anyone recommend a guide group, or tell us if "on our own" is just as good? (full day, no overnight, and staying in Tofino).

thanks,

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
1. Re: Hiking the Pacific Rim Trail - do we need a guide?

Not sure what trail you're referring to-is it one of the ones in the National Park?

Maybe the Do-It-Yourselfers on Club Tread can offer up some info.

www.clubtread.com/sforum/forum.asp…

Edited: 6:00 pm, September 02, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 37
2. Re: Hiking the Pacific Rim Trail - do we need a guide?

I was curious, so I had a look.

www.longbeachmaps.com/parks.html#anchor781106

Pacific Rim is the name of the national park, but I can't see any trails by that name. I thought perhaps you meant the west coast trail, but that starts in Bamfield.

Frederick, MD
reviews: 3
3. Re: Hiking the Pacific Rim Trail - do we need a guide?

Thanks for the Club Tread link - great information! ... Obviously a large part of my problem is not having a good idea of where we're going. Yes, we're looking for some trails in the Pacific Rim nat'l park. The Club Tread is getting me started in the right direction.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
4. Re: Hiking the Pacific Rim Trail - do we need a guide?

The Pacific Rim National Park website -

pc.gc.ca/eng/…activ4a.aspx

Edited: 1:26 pm, September 03, 2010
Vancouver Island...
reviews: 5
5. Re: Hiking the Pacific Rim Trail - do we need a guide?

Your post is a little confusing. There are several little trails in Pacific Rim Park, but the famous trail is the West Coast Trail from Port Renfrew to Bamfield, everything you need to know is at westcoasttrailbc.com You don't need a guide, but you absolutely must be well-prepared and well-equipped, and in good physical condition, with a group member with adequate backpack-camping experience. You have to make a reservation and do an orientation. You will not be permitted to start if you do not have proper gear. You'll see the whole trail, the only variations are if you miss low tide and have to take a difficult inland section. There is no pavement and there are some difficult sections, carrying your 40-lb pack. If you want a shorter easier backpacking trail, try the Juan de Fuca Trail which takes about 3-4 days and is south of the West Coast Trail. If you want a more challenging trail, do the North Coast Trail in Cape Scott park, which takes at least 6 days and is difficult.

6. Re: Hiking the Pacific Rim Trail - do we need a guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:34 am, March 10, 2011