We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of the year?

Which Tofino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis, IN
reviews: 16
Best time of the year?

My husband and I are in the early planning stages of a trip 2010. When do you feel is the best time to visit to see the most wildlife? Thanks

Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 20
1. Re: Best time of the year?

August. That is usally our dryest time of year and hottest too! There should be lots of wildlife for you. I am speaking in terms of Vancouver Island. If you do settle on that time I would make hotel or campsite reservations ASAP as that is our high season!

Victoria
reviews: 1
2. Re: Best time of the year?

I don't really agree that August is the best time of year in Tofino....we call it Fogust as the weather can be very foggy and chilly.

I would say that late March is the best time to see whales since they are migrating and we are celebrating our Whalefest...the weather is often rainy and cold though. The greys and humpback whales stay until mid October and whale and bear watching tours run continueosly throughout the summer.

Late May and early June are the best time to see bears as they come out of hibernation and are scowering the beaches for seafood.

AS far as weather goes i would say that late September seems to be the best for sunshine and calm winds, however we are in a rainforest so we are prone to excessive rainfall and it's really just a toss of the dice no matter what time of the year!

Owen Sound, Canada
3. Re: Best time of the year?

Do you mean Tofino in particular or Vancouver Island in general?

Oakville, Canada
reviews: 13
4. Re: Best time of the year?

We've been to Vancouver Island many times. We've always gone in September and experienced excellent weather at that time. I know this year, whale-watching was good. As for wildlife, sometimes we've seen alot and at other times very few. It depends on what you're expecting to see. Perhaps taking a tour that offers sightings of bears etc. would be your best bet.

Victoria
reviews: 1
5. Re: Best time of the year?

Tofino in particular....it has a very different climate from the rest of the island.

Owen Sound, Canada
6. Re: Best time of the year?

My question was actually for the OP........we know the Tofino area fairly well.

vancouver bc
reviews: 6
7. Re: Best time of the year?

I think anytime is a good time.

Whale migration varies but the area is abound with local wildlife.

I went in July. The weather was outstanding. Went on a whale watching trip and was almost in tears. It was so amazing to see Orcas( and their babies). Gray, and Humpback whales. Eagles,Sea lions. The fresh air.....

You can tell that I can't wait to go back.

8. Re: Best time of the year?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 19, 2010