We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tofino: The Wick or Long Beach Lodge Resort?

Which Tofino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southern California
Tofino: The Wick or Long Beach Lodge Resort?

Planning to visit Tofino at the end of January 2006. This will be a special occasion, so I am looking for first-rate accommodations, great food and wine, ideal storm watching location, etc. Does anyone out there have a preference between the Wickaninnish Inn and the Long Beach Lodge Resort? Or is there someplace else I should consider? Thanks!

Manchester UK
reviews: 89
21. Re: Tofino: The Wick or Long Beach Lodge Resort?

That's great input - thanks

22. Re: Tofino: The Wick or Long Beach Lodge Resort?

I'm an employee at the Wickaninnish Inn. With respect to flying or driving, it really depends how much time you have. It's a beautiful drive across the island on a sunny day as you cross the mountains; you pass a number of lakes, heavly forested areas (a stop at Cathedral Grove is a must), and so on. However, I would recommend ensuring that you plan do make the drive during daylight as the road itself is quite narrow and windy at times (it is paved the entire way).

Flying can save quite a bit of time however there's always the risk (especially during the second half of July and throughout August) of morning fog leading to flight cancellations. Some of the airlines will arrange for alternate (ground) transportation if this is the case, and some won't. This is one of the reasons that we discontinued the package which included flights however are of course happy to assist you in making separate flight bookings.

Qualicum Beach B.C...
23. Re: Tofino: The Wick or Long Beach Lodge Resort?

I'm a Middle Beach Lodge fan, I'm afraid. I'm afraid because I think it's one of the best kept secrets around Tofino and I'd like to keep it that way. However, that won't happen. My wife and I have stayed at the Wick on a five day package several years ago. It was great, superb in fact, but very expensive and very upmarket. I have visited the Long Beach Lodge on several occasions, and have been impressed with the rooms and coffee. I was given a tour of the rooms just after it opened. The food at the Wik was top rate, commensurate with the prices!

However, give me Middle Beach Lodge any time. No, it does not have all the amenities of the other two, such as massage, fitness centres, steam rooms and high prices. However, there is lots of atmosphere,choice of units from simple motel type to chalet type that would accomodate around 6 or more people. Most have kitchenette facilities of some kind, often simple but quite adequate. Some have hot tubs on the deck. Staff is friendly, and a very good continental breakfast is included in the nightly rate.

My wife and I have stayed there quite a few times over the last few years and are planning a two night stay in about two weeks time.

New York
reviews: 1
24. Re: Tofino: The Wick or Long Beach Lodge Resort?

My husband and I just returned from a stay at the Wickaninish Inn for our honeymoon. Although the views were spectacular we were not thoroughly impressed with our accomodations there. The rooms are very small, the staff was not friendly and we felt that the room was WAY overpriced!! The so-called spa is a tiny shack - no exaggeration. The restaurant was AMAZING and expensive but worth every penny. Wherever you decide to stay definitly have dinner there one night!

Toronto
reviews: 3
25. Re: Tofino: The Wick or Long Beach Lodge Resort?

The new villas at Pacific Sands are a giant step above the rest of the resort and merit examination.

The rates are high but worth the price - much better value, view and layout than the "cottages" at the Long Beach Resort.

The kitchen with real appliances plus a washer/dryer combo offset some of the additional cost and provide convenience.

Pennsylvania
reviews: 15
26. Re: Tofino: The Wick or Long Beach Lodge Resort?

Regarding Pacific Sands Resort, if you book there, be sure you request to stay in the new villas and refuse to accept any other place. We stayed in the Lighthouse Suites. It was perfectly awful! The rooms were dark, dingy and if the light had been better, I suspect dirty. It was so dark I couldn't tell. I had to put a towel on the couch before I sat on it. We checked out after one night. I can't compare the size of the villas at Long Beach Lodge, but I will say the rooms there are bright, airy, clean and luxurious. The restaurant at Long Beach Lodge is great, and breakfast is included in the rate be it room, suite or villa. Pacific Sands Resort does not have a restaurant.

27. Re: Tofino: The Wick or Long Beach Lodge Resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 am, August 14, 2009