We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big whalewatching around vancouver Island

Which Tofino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belgium
reviews: 1
Big whalewatching around vancouver Island

During our 6 days trip between Vancouver and Seattle we

like to see whales, if it's possible also Humpbacks, grey whales

or other BIG whales.

Orcatrips are possible in Vancouver, Tofino and Victoria which places we pass during our trip.

Which are the best equipped companies (sonar,micro,high succes-rate)?

Where can we (end-July) have the best chances to see those

BIG whales?

The 5-6 hour Hot Cove tours from Tofino: is the whalewatching

part of that trip (2-3 hours) comparable with the pure whalewatching

trips (the same equipment, underwater micro's,...) and can we

see BIG whales on those tours?

There is a possibility to go directly to Quadra island or Telegraph cove from Nanaimo, but that means that we have to skip Tofino

(a pity for Long Beach, Pacific Rim NP) on our way to Victoria.

Seattle
1. Re: Big whalewatching around vancouver Island

The gray whale migration in the spring that you're most likely to see grey whales off the west coast (Tofino). Some grey whales do hang around the Tofino area all summer so you may see one or two but it's not a sure thing. When I did the combo tour to the Hot Springs we did see one grey whale (that was in early Oct but they said he'd been around all summer).

I've never seen humpbacks in the area (one does occasionally hear of sightings but it's rare)--that's really an Alaska thing.

Telegraph Cove etc is going to be orcas not greys.

Don't skip Tofino for this reason, it's not to be missed, IMO.

Owen Sound, Canada
2. Re: Big whalewatching around vancouver Island

The Telegraph Cove area has been reliable for small numbers of summering Humpback Whales the past several years. Orcas are not as big but very interesting and impressive creatures. There are, as noted above, generally a small number of Gray Whales rooting around in the kelp beds near Tofino in Summer.

Jerry

Seattle
3. Re: Big whalewatching around vancouver Island

Cool about the humpbacks in the Telegraph Cove area, that's good to know! I've only ever seen orcas up that way.

I'd still urge going to Tofino just because it's such an amazing place but I can see the temptation to skip it with the possibility of seeing humpbacks...

milwaukee
4. Re: Big whalewatching around vancouver Island

My husband and I were in Tofino in Sept. We went out on a Zodiak, with Jamie's whalewatching. We saw two gray whales and out further we saw one beautiful humpback. It was a blast!

Tofino, Canada
reviews: 13
5. Re: Big whalewatching around vancouver Island

We had lots of Humpback Whales this year in Tofino!

Reading, United...
6. Re: Big whalewatching around vancouver Island

We saw humpbacks off Victoria four weeks ago (last week in October) but no Orcas.

Saw Orcas in June off Point Roberts.

7. Re: Big whalewatching around vancouver Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 21, 2009