We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

penticton v kelowna

Which Penticton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chester, United...
reviews: 102
penticton v kelowna

We will be visiting the Okanagan Valley, probably for 4 nights, in August 2013.

We can't decide whether to stay in Penticton or Kelowna and would welcome advice please.

We are fit and active early 60s who enjoy walking, golf and wine tasting, can only take a limited amount of sitting around doing nothing

BC, Canada
11. Re: penticton v kelowna

I agree with what pumpermum says above. if you plan a day trip from Kelowna, head south to Penticton. It is a beautiful 45 minute drive along Okanagan lake, and I think there is more to do there. The town is situated between 2 lakes with beaches and activities on both lakes, Naramata and Okanagan Falls are a short drive with wineries, fruit stands and beautiful scenery.

Penticton, Canada
reviews: 1
12. Re: penticton v kelowna

Penticton is the smaller community. It is not as difficult to get around. It has beautiful walking trails within easy and fast access. It has a lake (Skaha and Okanagan) at each end of the city and it is easy to walk from lake to lake with an average level of fitness. Hotel/Motel costs should be a little less in Penticton. Plus there are many great wineries with tours by bus or even boat. Probably the advantage of Kelowna is that it has more eating choices, but it also depends on the type of dining you like. Kelowna is much busier and the traffic is terrible. Penticton is a little more laid back.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 47
13. Re: penticton v kelowna

Gotta love it when the OP asks for advice, gets a strong preference stated by several different posters, and then does the opposite.

Chester, United...
14. Re: penticton v kelowna

thank you, we have decided to stay in Kelowna and visit Penticton

Chester, United...
15. Re: penticton v kelowna

Thank you,we have made our decision and will stay in Kelowna

Chester, United...
16. Re: penticton v kelowna

I have only recently stared using forums. Most replies are very helpful snide comments like this are not. This has put me off using forums in future

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
reviews: 90
17. Re: penticton v kelowna

I don't think that Vancouverite was being snide.. I think it's more a sense of frustration that you've asked for advice and almost everyone here has given you very sound reasons for choosing an alternate to Kelowna. We are all volunteers here and take our time to answer questions for visitors. We all want visitors to have the best experience here.

I have travelled to the Okanagan almost every summer for over 35 years and have stayed in all the various towns.. my advice was also going to be choose Penticton or Oliver based on your interests. I've stayed in Kelowna at least 5 times for various reasons and it's not ever been my top choice.

I do hope you don't stop using the forums but I also hope you realize you might have gotten very different responses if you had said " we are staying in Kelowna what should we see and do based on these interests".

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 47
18. Re: penticton v kelowna

Your choice to participate in forums or not is entirely up to you, but they are a source of a wide range of opinions from an incredible diversity of people. That's mine. I hope you can see this from our side. We spent time answering a question that was asked and offering advice as it was requested. I'm sure you have good reasons for choosing Kelowna, and its a very popular place to stay. When one participates in an online forum, one must be prepared for the fact that you are just dealing with "folks around the water cooler", not professional staff who have any obligation to a particular method of speaking or taking a specific line or tone.

Enjoy your holiday.

19. Re: penticton v kelowna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 am, March 30, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Penticton