We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

real ghost or abandoned ghost towns nearby?

Which Kelowna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
LindaJGimli
reviews: 7
real ghost or abandoned ghost towns nearby?

I am a photographer visiting Kelowna in April and I am working on a collection of photography of old, derelict and abandoned buildings...can anyone tell me of some interesting "real" ghost towns (not the Barkerville type) nearby? Within a day trip that would be a nice drive as well?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Cheers, Linda

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
1. Re: real ghost or abandoned ghost towns nearby?

Have a look here...

http://www.ghosttownpix.com/bc/

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 37
2. Re: real ghost or abandoned ghost towns nearby?

Hi Linda !

You would have to sort out the locations of the places on the following website. You can click on the hyperlinks to read more about each location. Look for Similkameen, Okanagan, Shuswap, even the Cariboo although that is a bit north of Kelowna.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ghost_towns_in_B…

and this website as well:

http://itsmysite.com/bchistory/

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 14
3. Re: real ghost or abandoned ghost towns nearby?

I immediately thought of Sandon, but that's a serious drive from Kelowna - just under 5 hours... and I don't know how much of Sandon is left, but it's worth looking into: …wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandon,_British_Columbia

I haven't done this drive, but it would no doubt be beautiful!

Edited: 3:03 am, March 25, 2013
Victoria, Canada
4. Re: real ghost or abandoned ghost towns nearby?

I would suggest Granite City in the Tulameen but is quite a drive from Kelowna. Still some old cabin there. Hedley has the remnants of the old stamp mill which is just west of Keremeos. The Haynes Ranch just north of Osoyoos and south of Oliver.

Drive between Rock Creek and Osoyoos and there are as number of old abandoned homestead ranches, however, many of them are on private property.

Another would be to drive south to Osoyoos, cross the US border, and then visit Molson ghost town. Also the little ghost town of Night Hawk on the US side of the Similkameen River. Some old hotel and store plus mining buildings just south down the gravel road on the west side of the Similkameen River.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
5. Re: real ghost or abandoned ghost towns nearby?

Robyn....the drive to Sandon is beautiful and what is left of Sandon is interesting. There is a well done little museum and a few buildings left. A lot of it was damaged when the creek that the town was built over flooded. Unfortunately, the place is also the graveyard for a bunch of abandoned buses which really detracts from it all. Still, well worth a visit though.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
6. Re: real ghost or abandoned ghost towns nearby?

I bought a great t-shirt @ Sandon one year....

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Kelowna
reviews: 3
7. Re: real ghost or abandoned ghost towns nearby?

I have heard comments about Kettle Valley Railway from Kelowna to Penticton with old railway trestles and some abandoned bldgs. Possibly someone who has travelled the route could comment. Also, there is an very old barn on Benvoulin Rd which was part of a tobacco farm and on the way there you will pass Father Pandosy Mission which was settled about 1850

LindaJGimli
reviews: 7
8. Re: real ghost or abandoned ghost towns nearby?

Thank you so much....looking forward to seeing your suggestions!

Kelowna, Canada
9. Re: real ghost or abandoned ghost towns nearby?

There's an old house on the Casorso property on Casorso Road, after you go over the bridge over Mission Creek. It's used for storage, I think. No windows or doors on it.

10. Re: real ghost or abandoned ghost towns nearby?

Which side of the road is the property on? And how far from the bridge