We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kamloops or Kelowna? - February 2014

Which Kamloops hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Yorkshire
reviews: 20
Kamloops or Kelowna? - February 2014

Hi

Was intending to ski at Sun Peaks around mid February but been advised weekend of 8, 9, 10 February 2014 will be busy due to public holiday/family day.

Now looking to stay at Kamloops or Kelowna for the weekend, which is the best area and what will there be to do/see in February.

Burlington, Canada
reviews: 29
1. Re: Kamloops or Kelowna? - February 2014

My guess is that most everyone here will tell you that Kelowna is the better choice.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
2. Re: Kamloops or Kelowna? - February 2014

Because it is...

Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 28
3. Re: Kamloops or Kelowna? - February 2014

Kelowna is just that much bigger, more amenities, more to see and do! Wineries!!

http://www.tourismkelowna.com/

Edited: 12:52 pm, August 02, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
4. Re: Kamloops or Kelowna? - February 2014

Kelowna for sure.....

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
reviews: 90
5. Re: Kamloops or Kelowna? - February 2014

Yes wineries in Kelowna..not so much Kamloops...but then are you planning to drive back to Sun Peaks??? You could also look at skiing Big White or Silver Star...do you have winter driving experience? Are you planning on flying into Kelowna? February will be busy at all the ski resorts.. as there are holidays for BC on the one Monday and US holiday on another Monday plus Reading Week for University's...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
6. Re: Kamloops or Kelowna? - February 2014

Kelowna.

Or possibly Penticton. Smaller than Kelowna, unassuming and natural, comparatively less busy.

Kelowna pop = 117 K, Penticton population = 33 K.

Both are nice, IMO.

Burlington, Canada
reviews: 29
7. Re: Kamloops or Kelowna? - February 2014

See, what did I tell you!!

My guess is that you folks out in BC view Kamloops in the same light as we Ontarians see Hamilton. (sshhh...I don't want anyone to hear me but Hamilton isn't really so bad...just some crappy areas but some nice ones too.)

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
reviews: 90
8. Re: Kamloops or Kelowna? - February 2014

Kamloops and the environs are great in the summer..I love the grasslands and the area along the Thompson River...BUT in winter if you're looking for a place where you can have more restaurant choice and other tourism options then Kelowna wins.. and if you're planning on spending time in the Rockies then Revelstoke wins as it's closer... Kamloops would do better if it were 5 hours drive from Vancouver instead of 3 lol

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
9. Re: Kamloops or Kelowna? - February 2014

Kamloops is not our Hamilton, its not that bad

Penticton, Canada
reviews: 5
10. Re: Kamloops or Kelowna? - February 2014

Now busy is all relative; it will be busier than usual but never that crowded that you will want to scream. Is your goal to go skiing or to go touring the area??

For skiing the ski hills in both the Okanagan and Kamloops are between 30-60 minutes to the towns. If you really want to ski and you can find accommodation at Sun Peaks at that time then I would pursue your first idea. If you only want to tour; then the Okanagan in February is not the best, but usually better then Kamloops; the chances are really high that in the Okanagan it will be cloudy for most of your days (we take extra Vitamin D for Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar); we drive up to the ski hills to get sun. Sure there are wineries in the Okanagan that are open for tastings in February, usually with limited hours, if that is what you want to do; fair warning the vines are at their worst looking which does not make for much of an impression.

and, if you only want to tour there is a greater diversity in the Okanagan from Vernon south to Osoyoos; where you get quite a few towns and cities each with its own character whereas in the Kamloops area there are not as many towns close by.( I stand to be corrected on the latter...)

You did not say where you are coming from and how you would be traveling to Kamloops or Kelowna so kind of hard to give some really good advice or warnings.