We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver to Calgery via Jasper & Banff in Mid June

Which Kamloops hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Vancouver to Calgery via Jasper & Banff in Mid June

I am planning to drive from Vancouver to Calgery via Jasper & Banff in Mid June doing this in about 5 days. Is it a safe time to drive(ie no ice on road etc) and any great suggestions will be greatly appreciated?. Thanks

Robert

Hitchin, United...
reviews: 34
1. Re: Vancouver to Calgery via Jasper & Banff in Mid June

It's a very safe time to drive. In mid June it's very warm and pleasant down in Vancouver and up through Kamploops if that's the route you're taking (seeing as you posted in Kamloops)... up over the rockies the air will feel cooler and fresher in comparison as you get higher, but it's by no means cold. Maybe 15 degrees C give or take, with some days much warmer, it can get up to 20 odd C. You'll see snow capped mountains and glaciers up in the Rockies but there's no snow on the roads, I drove up into the Rockies during September in an RV and it was still really temperate.

What sort of suggestions were you after?

(PS: Posting in the BC or Vancouver forum may get you more views, I think the Kamloops forum is fairly quiet).

Edited: 8:08 am, December 15, 2010
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 86
2. Re: Vancouver to Calgery via Jasper & Banff in Mid June

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums!

The route between Calgary and Vancouver via the Canadian Rocky Mountain parks is a well-travelled and much discussed itinerary here, although because of the geographic scope of it, the information is scattered among many forums. I would suggest browsing recent posts in the following: Canadian Rockies, Alberta, Banff, Jasper, Whistler, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, British Columbia, Kamloops etc. (Also, if you access the forums at, say, the provincial level, you can see all the sub-forums beneath.)

The forum "search" function will bring up loads of useful information. (Look for it just above the list of messages). Also, the TA "Traveler Articles" and "Top Questions" have a lot of helpful info. Go to the TA page for whatever destination you need advice, then look on the left hand side of the page, and you'll see the Traveller Articles, starting with "More on ...", "Before you go", "Things to Do", etc. Top Questions for each destination are found in the top right corner.

Online maps can be very useful in laying out your itinerary - they have "directions" features which will give you mileage and driving times between stops. Try www.mapquest.com or www.maps.google.com . I am also very fond of using Google's satellite and street views to learn about an area before I go.

Online resources that will be useful for the Rockies -

The Jasper and Banff/Lake Louise tourism offices:

www.jaspercanadianrockies.com

www.banfflakelouise.com

Parks Canada: www.pc.gc.ca - pick whichever park you want info for (Banff, Jasper, Yoho & Kootenay; once you are at the park's page, you'll see a menu down the left - choose "Visitor information"). Also, when you enter the park and pay your fee, you will be given an informative booklet that has information for all four parks.

Also, one of the main attractions in the area is the drive from Lake Louise to Jasper on a highway known as the Icefields Parkway - www.icefieldsparkway.ca . Although only about 225 km long, I usually recommend making a full day of it, stopping at the many scenic viewpoints, lakes, waterfalls along the way.

Five days is not a lot of time for the route you have mentioned - road conditions should be fine, but we usually recommend taking two days from Vancouver to either Banff or Jasper, and the Icefields Parkway can use most of a day, with all the various stops. Jasper is a bit closer to Vancouver than Banff, so you may wish to route Vancouver - Jasper - Banff - Calgary, to get it all in, spending a night enroute to Jasper, and the extra night in Banff. On your way to Jasper, Kamloops is a natural stopping point, being a larger town & about halfway, or you can continue on to Clearwater or even some of the smaller towns a bit further. (Arriving in Jasper earlier in the day will allow you part of that day for sightseeing in the Jasper area).

Hope this helps!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 46
3. Re: Vancouver to Calgery via Jasper & Banff in Mid June

Five days is a very limited amount of time, so it really depends on your goals. If all you really want to do is a scenic drive, then I would agree with Vancouver-Jasper-Banff-Calgary. If you actually want to stop and SEE anything along the way, then I'd be inclined to suggest you stick with highway 1 and focus on Banff, with perhaps a day to go up the Icefields Parkway as far as the Columbia Icefields, then return to Banff. I presume you are doing this in a car and using fixed roof accomodations. If you are planning on a rental RV and camping, then you are setting yourself a very ambitious schedule indeed!

Try this article for more information:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c120076/Briti…

4. Re: Vancouver to Calgery via Jasper & Banff in Mid June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 15, 2011