We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sailing from Chemainus Harbour

Which Chemainus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta
reviews: 6
Sailing from Chemainus Harbour

Any help would be appreciated..

We will be flying into Cassidy airport with a shuttle picking us up to bring us to Chemainus Harbour to board a sail boat we chartered. My problem is where can we buy groceries once we arrive? I don't think there are any cabs to take us, so it looks like it needs to be within walking distance. Maybe we sail away to another harbour close by that has more facilities?? Not sure. Is there anyone out there who has good knowledge of the area I speak of and can help out? Thank-you in advance...

11 replies to this topic
Vancouver Island...
1. Re: Sailing from Chemainus Harbour

No worries, there are a couple of grocery stores in Chemainus. Its a small town, so everything is close by.

Alberta
2. Re: Sailing from Chemainus Harbour

Thank-you for your information. There will 4 of us so i am just concerned that we will have many bags to carry back to the boat..I want to make sure I have enough wine!!!

Vancouver Island...
3. Re: Sailing from Chemainus Harbour

Yes, the wine is important!!

You could always borrow one of those grocery carts, fill it up with all your food and wine, wheel all your goodies to the boat. As you stash all your things on the boat, one of you could return the cart! ....I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

Alberta
4. Re: Sailing from Chemainus Harbour

Exactly! Thank-you for the great idea..

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
5. Re: Sailing from Chemainus Harbour

Hi ~

There is a taxi in Chemainus and 2 grocery stores, as well as a liquor store.

Here is the layout of the town. You will see the anchorage by the ferry dock. I will assume that is where you will pick up your charter boat. If you hover your mouse over the names on the business listings, a red dot will appear on the map to identify where each store is. Also in the blue bars will appear the name/address/phone number.

Look for: 49th Parallel Grocery, Chemainus Foods, Go Taxi and the Government liquor store which is just next to the Island Savings Credit Union.

Chemainus is split between the main town around Willow and Mill and the lower town around Oak. It's about a 10-15 minute walk between the two.

tourismchemainus.com/html/MapBusiness.html

Alberta
6. Re: Sailing from Chemainus Harbour

Super great info. Thank-you.

Nanaimo, Canada
7. Re: Sailing from Chemainus Harbour

No problem. There's an adequate grocery store just up the street from the docks that has a pretty good selection within walking distance. Don't know the hours, but I'm guessing they're open 7 days/week. I've cruised in and out of there a number of times, nice place. Take a bit of time and walk around the town a bit, if you have time. I boat out of Nanaimo. Have fun.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
8. Re: Sailing from Chemainus Harbour

VERY old post. The OP posted 2 years ago exactly.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
reviews: 302
9. Re: Sailing from Chemainus Harbour

Isn't being able to resurrect 2 year old posts a great feature of TripAdvisor!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
10. Re: Sailing from Chemainus Harbour

Dave, I've read on Support that the small forums stay open unlike busier ones that have a one year close date. It's up to the poster to notice whether or not the topic is current.

Reply to: Sailing from Chemainus Harbour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chemainus