We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-5 bridge in skagit down - re-route & delays

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 7
I-5 bridge in skagit down - re-route & delays

Looking to go to Canada for a day trip this Memorial Day weekend but just heard about the i5 bridge in skagit valley that went down. Does anyone know where the reroute is? If we leave early in the morning say 6 or 7 should we still expect long delays?

SE Ontario
reviews: 8
1. Re: I-5 bridge in skagit down - re-route & delays

Info from Washington State forum:

…wa.gov/construction/pugetsound/today.htm

Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 25
2. Re: I-5 bridge in skagit down - re-route & delays

My husband said that google maps already has the detour up.

Seattle, Washington
3. Re: I-5 bridge in skagit down - re-route & delays

I just checked google maps but I just see these directions:

Merge onto I-5 N

This road will be temporarily closed starting on 24 May

Entering Canada (British Columbia)

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
reviews: 270
4. Re: I-5 bridge in skagit down - re-route & delays

If concerned, there are several other routes into the Vancouver area.

Borderlineups.com has listings, web cams and maps for you to view.

http://www.borderlineups.com/

Will there be delays? Most assuredly as any disruption of such a major artery between Seattle and Vancouver will cause indecision, congestion and slowed travel. This is the first time in my memory that anything like this has happened so am sure that things will slow down a bit. Plan for extra time to get to Vancouver.

Edited: 12:39 pm, May 24, 2013
Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 25
5. Re: I-5 bridge in skagit down - re-route & delays

Please accept my apologies. I just had my husband clarify what he told me... no detour shown, just that the bridge isn't there anymore.

Maybe you could go to Victoria from Seattle on the Clipper instead??? No driving for you then!

Seattle, Washington
6. Re: I-5 bridge in skagit down - re-route & delays

It's ok. No need to apologize. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question though. I will just have to research some alternate routes today via the links everyone posted on this topic.

Vancouver
reviews: 47
7. Re: I-5 bridge in skagit down - re-route & delays

Best info I've found so far is from the Washington State DOT Facebook page, of all things.

https://www.facebook.com/WSDOT…

I'm keeping an eye on it because we're planning to visit some friends in Seattle tomorrow. I've read some reports that the detour route on Hwy 9 are pretty smooth (ie less than 15 min delay), but that was early this morning. There are a couple of alternate crossings west of the I-5 as well, but they look less direct than the Hwy 9 route. We're going armed with printed out maps of these alternates, though, in case the official detour looks backed up. Good luck!

Seattle, Washington
8. Re: I-5 bridge in skagit down - re-route & delays

Do you know if the detour route is pretty far? As in is it a long detour before we get back onto i5? I am not too familiar with the area.

9. Re: I-5 bridge in skagit down - re-route & delays

My husband drove south on Friday morning. The detour around the bridge only took 15 minutes so not too bad with commuter and holiday traffic.

Seattle, Washington
10. Re: I-5 bridge in skagit down - re-route & delays

Just checked google and it looks like the driving directions are now up to date! It includes directions with the detour route. :) Thanks everyone for your help!