We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodation recommends please!

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wirral,England
reviews: 26
accommodation recommends please!

I'm just starting to look for 2 nights accommodation in jasper mid august for 2 adults 2 teenagers. The choices don't look great, the big hotels seem to get lots of reviews about being tired and needing an update. I've had a quick look at B and Bs but that's like finding a needle in a haystack - some don't even have email addresses and I don't want to phone from the UK. Any recommendations as to what to try? The 2 top rated ones had 3 night minimum stays so they're out straightaway.

14 replies to this topic
Edmonton
reviews: 12
1. Re: accommodation recommends please!

Hi I'm no expert but you will find an expert on jasper if you repost your question on the Alberta trip forum. We love to stay at the home stays. I'm sure someone can direct you there. Or just google Jasper home accommodation. Many people have a web page or list their email and a few pictures. Their prices are half the price of a hotel room and some offer kitchen facilities. These are very popular. Hurry though as Jasper books up very fast. Don't hesitate to call (it's only a phone call). Good Luck Jasper is an amazing place.

Wirral,England
2. Re: accommodation recommends please!

2 hours on and I am still no further on. Only possibility is Best Western maybe....

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
reviews: 1
3. Re: accommodation recommends please!

There are lots of home stays, which are probably your best option in terms of price and availability. Almost all should have e-mail contact, even if it takes a day or two to reply.

It's a little different than in other places due to parks housing regulations, so the majority are 1 - 3 bedrooms rented out of someone's house (often a very nice basement apartment), so are small operations. They are pretty much like B&Bs, though most do not offer meals. But may well have microwaves, kettle etc. You shouldn't feel rushed yet. Other than the peak weekend (first weekend of the month), you shouldn't have an issue finding a place and there are 116 or so options listed below.

http://www.stayinjasper.com/

There are also places like Patricia Lake Bungalows and Bear Hill that are hotels with cabins.

Wirral,England
4. Re: accommodation recommends please!

Thank you, I'm sure we'll find something. Have emailed Patricia Lake which is my favourite so far so fingers crossed. They are open Monday so maybe I will hear back tomorrow evening. Bear HIll still has one huge chalet left but it may just be a bit too rustic for us.... I need to stop being fussy!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
5. Re: accommodation recommends please!

Nothing left for me to say - good job, guys! LOL

But I will add a few details... The www.stayinjasper.com site is the most comprehensive listing site for "PHA" (private home accommodations) in Jasper, and you can use the search page to narrow your choices (although when I was looking at it just now, the display seems a little buggy and slow to load.... keep scrolling for your search results to load). I would suggest you use the search for "number of guests - 4" as well as any other criteria that are important to you, to narrow the choices down. Almost all of them have an email contact, but yes, there are a few that do not. ***

Another site with lots of listings, but not as good a search function, is bbcanada.com/alberta/alberta_rockies/jasper ... however, some of the listings on that site have an availability calendar, so you can easily check that before even sending an enquiry. With these listings, do double check the location, since some of them may be in other "nearby" locations (approx. an hour's drive away from the town of Jasper).

Note that only about ten or twelve of the home accommodations in Jasper are licensed to offer breakfast, and all of these are licensed for continental breakfast only. So if a breakfast being provided is important to you, use the search function at the first site to find those particular listings. Many have facilities that will allow you to self-cater, especially breakfast, lunch and snacks; there are a few that offer full kitchen.

PHAs are prevalent all though the residential neighbourhoods of Jasper (there are 15 or 16 of them on the block where I live), and they range from basic "budget" accommodations at $60 to $80 for a room with shared bathroom for two people to hotel-style rooms (at about $100 - $120 for two) and up to about $175- $200 for a full 2-bedroom apartment with kitchen. There is even one that operates like a hostel, with a dorm room. So do be sure to check them out online, including in the reviews here on TripAdvisor, and ask lots of questions of the hosts, to be sure that what you are booking is what you are looking for.

*** On edit: Just realized that maybe your comment about the lack of email contact info was in regards to the ones listed here on TripAdvisor ... only the ones that have paid listings are able to add email or website contact information to their TA listing; the ones without are the ones with "freebie" listings. The paid TA listings are very expensive, and since most of these are one or two room operations, the TA listings are not cost-effective for most.

Edited: 12:50 pm, March 16, 2014
Wirral,England
6. Re: accommodation recommends please!

Thank you all so much. I don't think I really fancy private home stays. Are any of the lodges recommended? As I said earlier the top 2 on here wont do 2 night stays in August.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
7. Re: accommodation recommends please!

Which "lodges" are you considering? I am wondering also what is your impression of the word "lodge" ? (i.e. is there a particular type of accommodation that word conjures in your mind?). Some of these are quite "motel - like", and some of them are cabins. In years gone by, most of them were called "bungalows" i.e. Patricia Lake Bungalows, Sunwapta Falls Bungalows etc. The latter changed their name to "lodge" a year or two ago. In some cases, it's used by luxury accommodations (i.e. Moraine Lake Lodge, Emerald Lake Lodge) It's almost as overused and as meaningless a word in this area as "resort".

Are you looking for in-town or out-of-town accommodation? What is your price range?

Wirral,England
8. Re: accommodation recommends please!

I would say fairly near to town, so a short drive in if we want restaurants etc. There just don't seen to be consistently good reviews on here re places like Fairmont. The prices are really steep too. Lodge to me would mean log cabin by a lake with 2 proper bedrooms. I have heard back from the Glass House B and B which can accommodate us and I'm wondering whether to go with that rather than risk the 'rustic charm' of some of the lodges! Thanks for bearing with me KP.

Edited: 3:42 pm, March 16, 2014
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
9. Re: accommodation recommends please!

Hmm, well some of the cabin or chalet "resorts" or bungalows would fit that description. A lot of the cabins are not log though; most are wood or wood panelled, some are "panabode" (a type of milled logs). Some are in duplex/triplex or fourplex units, rather than small, individual cabins. Certainly the ones that are "rustic luxury" instead of just "rustic" are in very high demand - and expensive.

The ones close to town are Pine Bungalows, Patricia Lake Bungalows, Alpine Village (probably one of the min. 3 nts? but you never know, they may have a 2-nt vacancy when you need it), Tekarra Lodge, Beckers Chalets. Bear Hill Lodge is right in town.

I think a lot of the negative reviews of hotels and other commercial accommodations is because the rates are so high in the summer season - reflecting high seasonal demand but not the standard of accommodations. People have high expectations based on the rate, which isn't met, and they're disappointed. In most places in Canada, I would expect a $200 (dbl) hotel room to be pretty nice, but here, that would be a pretty average room, nothing special. And of course, when you are accommodating four instead of two and wanting more space, it gets much more expensive.

If the Glass House has availability and the facilities suit your needs, I would highly recommend them! They are really nice people and the location is so central in town, just a short walk to downtown shops, and restaurants etc. (The easiest thing to do for dinner or shopping would be to leave the car at the accommodation and walk downtown.) If I recall correctly, their rooms are part of the house, rather than a separate unit or suite, and they are one of the very few with a served breakfast in their dining room (buffet style, I believe) . Most others that offer breakfast stock in the accommodation's kitchen or kitchenette, for guests to self-serve, or provide a basket or tray of goodies to your room in the morning.

Wirral,England
10. Re: accommodation recommends please!

I think I'm going to go with the Glass House as it'll be so nice to leave the car and walk into town I know my husband will love that after the long drive to Jasper and we can both sample the local beer! At least I can tick that one off the list. Still need to sort the stopover between vancouver and jasper out so see you over in that forum no doubt. And then that just leaves Banff to sort. Its nearing midnight here, so at least I've sorted something today.

Reply to: accommodation recommends please!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted