We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

via 1 way from Toronto to Jasper and airport home

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 1
via 1 way from Toronto to Jasper and airport home

We want to take a via rail sleeper car trip from Toronto to Jasper 1 way (we cannot afford return). I'm struggling with the most economical way to then get from Jasper to any major airport - car rental one way is pricey, shuttle is pricey, greyhound is long.... any ideas?

5 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 64
1. Re: via 1 way from Toronto to Jasper and airport home

Sun Dog Tours runs a shuttle service:

www.sundogtours.com/airport_shuttle.php

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 35
2. Re: via 1 way from Toronto to Jasper and airport home

How much more would it be for you to just book the train right through to Vancouver with a stop in Jasper? I think its typically three days between trains, isn't it? So you could have 3 days in Jasper and then reboard to continue on to Vancouver where you can get a flight home.

I'm just guessing that by the time you've paid for the train to Jasper, carrying on to Vancouver isn't going to be that much more.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
3. Re: via 1 way from Toronto to Jasper and airport home

The closest airport to Jasper is YEG - Edmonton International. Your options for getting there are:

1/ Greyhound, and then the Skyshuttle service from the city to the airport

2/ VIA Rail - but the connections are not good; I recently looked at this myself, for a flight this coming summer ... VIA is scheduled to arrive in Edmonton at 11 pm, too late for the ~1 am red-eye flights, and if you have to stay over in a hotel, that adds to your cost. I would never travel on VIA with a tight connection either, just in case.

3/ the Sundog airporter shuttle, which wil pick you up from your accommodation in Jasper and take you right to YEG, for about $90, if I recall correctly. This is by far the easiest and most convenient option... my father uses this when he visits me. (See the link in Country_Wife's post.)

4/ car rental

5/ Ride share (facebook) - a bit of a long-shot and would be more uncertain and you would not be able to know until not quite last minute, but you could always use one of the other options as a back-up. Basically, there are two active facebook group pages where people either offering or seeking rides to/from Jasper can post. It is customary to pitch in toward gas cost. If you are a facebook user, you can use the search to find them. They are called "Jasper Ride Share" and "Jasper, AB Buy, Sell and Trade!"

Edited: 4:56 pm, May 01, 2013
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
4. Re: via 1 way from Toronto to Jasper and airport home

Oops, used my one chance to edit and realized one other thing ... option #2 (VIA) would also require using the Skyshuttle to get to the airport.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 81
5. Re: via 1 way from Toronto to Jasper and airport home

Hi, I just got back from a Via Rail trip to Jasper from Vancouver. It was a nice experience. I'd plan to see Banff from Jasper and then take the airporter to Calgary to get home. If you only stop in Jasper you won't see much and you will need a car or a tour to see the rockies. One way car rental is a lot but you could do a r/t Jasper and then take the shuttle to Edmonton. Overall that may be your best choice.

Reply to: via 1 way from Toronto to Jasper and airport home
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted