We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best lodging options for views, walkable w/kids, activities?

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
reviews: 5
Best lodging options for views, walkable w/kids, activities?

We are planning 3 weeks in the Canadian Rockies and Jasper is my last week (Mid Aug) and I haven't secured lodging. We are doing about 8-9 Days in Canmore, 5 in Lake Louise and the remaining in Jasper.

I am not sure what is the best lodging for a family- prefer a kitchen of some sort and walkable to any town/restaurants?

Any recs on activities that might work with kids (5-7) would be great, I am just starting to plan everything, flights booked, the rest is open!!!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 86
1. Re: Best lodging options for views, walkable w/kids, activities?

Sounds like a really nice holiday!

Here in Jasper, two in-town hotels that have units with full kitchens are the Lobstick Lodge and the Best Western Jasper Inn. There may be others as well. Patricia Lake Bungalows, which is about a ten minute drive to town and located on (surprise surprise!) Patricia Lake, also has units with kitchens. Oh yeah - and there is also Bear Hill Lodge, which has little cabins right in town, which are equipped with kitchens.

There are also "private home accommodations" (PHAs) with full kitchen, and quite a number with "kitchenette" (usually mini-fridge and microwave). PHAs are rooms or suites rented for nightly visitors, within residents' homes, and are all located right in town, walking distance to downtown will vary from five minutes for the ones that are in residential areas closer to downtown to a maximum of twenty minutes, if they are located at either end of town (downtown is in the middle). These are much more economical compared to hotel, and you'll find these at www.stayinjasper.com (the search page will help you narrow down the many choices), and hotels are at www.jasper.travel . If you decide to go the PHA route, I would suggest making enquiries ASAP, since August is high season, and it may be a bit of a challenge to find a decent place that has a five- or seven-night vacancy right for when you want it. (Since there is no "central reservations" for PHA, I would suggest drafting a generic email enquiry that you can copy and paste to send emails to any of the homes that you think would suit you..)

There is no shortage of things to do - all of the usual paid attractions, sightseeing, hiking, cycling, swimming, picnicking, horseback riding and whitewater rafting (although there may be minimum size or weight restrictions that may limit your family for these last two activities) etc. On a hot day, the beach at Lake Annette is a lot of fun. Pyramid Island is a fun, short outing from town. Some of the easier hikes are the Valley of the Five Lakes, the Old Fort Point Loop, Maligne Canyon, and the shorter trails at Maligne Lake. If your kids are reasonably active and fit, even some of the longer hikes such as to Wilcox Pass and back (8 km) should be do-able - the key is taking it slowly, keeping it fun (which is extra work for parents; we played a lot of word games and things like "I Spy" when we hiked with our kids), and I always found that bribery with usually-forbidden treats worked wonders. ;-) (My youngest did a 3-day hike at 4 yrs, 4 mos. - 10 km, 15 km and 10 km, and did an even longer three day hike at age five).

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
reviews: 64
2. Re: Best lodging options for views, walkable w/kids, activities?

krp, thanks so much for posting this information..it will help me as well as it will surely help scubagal! We are planning on coming to Jasper in July or 2014 and I have begun preliminary searches for lodging with 2 bedrooms and kitchen facilities for 2, 60 something YOUNG couples. Your info is very helpful! Thank you.

:)

Winnipeg
reviews: 29
3. Re: Best lodging options for views, walkable w/kids, activities?

Try Belle's Mountain Chalet. It's a two-bedroom basement suite with a full kitchen - absolutely gorgeous and extremely comfortable. It's about a 5 minute walk to the closest grocery store and very convenient to the main street of town, yet quiet for sleeping.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
reviews: 64
4. Re: Best lodging options for views, walkable w/kids, activities?

Just an FYI, Bear Hill Lodge will be closed in 2014 for renovations. I was just informed of that today by management.

Edited: 5:26 pm, March 31, 2013
5. Re: Best lodging options for views, walkable w/kids, activities?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 02, 2014