We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jasper with very young kids

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
11 posts
27 reviews
Jasper with very young kids

I'm thinking of traveling to Jasper this summer with my six year old and barely-two year old. I drove through Jasper once years ago and have wanted to return ever since.

Is there much I can do with them safely? is the tram ok with an active toddler? Is there good hiking with a sturdy (Bob) stroller, or trails not so much at cliff's edge? A playground, a lake to splash in? I know it's beautiful, just wonder whether it is practical this year or if I should wait.

Thanks!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
13,967 posts
92 reviews
1. Re: Jasper with very young kids

I may be a little biased, but having raised my kids in Jasper, I think it's a great place for kids!

There are many playgrounds in town, and also one out at Lake Annette, which is a shallow lake that gets fairly warm (by Jasper standards) in the summer. It's a shallow-entry lake, so great for kids. There are changerooms, toilets, and picnic areas there too.

The trails at the top of the tramway are maybe not particularly stroller-friendly (there are steep parts, and pushing a stroller up would be tough), but there are plenty of trails that are good hiking to do with kids, although having a backpack-style carrier would give you far more options than a stroller.. There are lots of great places where kids can experience nature "hands on"... mine could always find fun things to do out of doors... throw rocks into water, balance on fallen trees etc.