We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Hinton a viable option

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
reviews: 63
Is Hinton a viable option

We are travelling to the Rockies in mid September and had wanted three nights in Jasper, but accommodation is proving a real problem. To come straight out with it, we like our comforts and amenities and are looking for a reasonably 'luxurious' hotel even in the wilderness, and would rather have a hotel than a B&B or homestay. The Fairmont is out of our reach, currently showing over $600 per night for a standard room, and everything else gets very mixed reviews on Tripadvisor, and availability is now restricted. As we will have a car and are happy to do a bit of driving, would Hinton be a viable alternative as it seems to have more modern hotels, even though what we want to do for the three days is see the attractions around the Jasper area, or is it just too far away?

edmonton
reviews: 45
1. Re: Is Hinton a viable option

this is asked often so you might want to do a search.

in my opinion, i would not want to do the drive everyday and i only stay in hinton as a place to crash for a night if you can't drive anymore. however, i know jasper is expensive. i'd give up a bit of convenience/luxury to stay in jasper. hinton has a mill in the town and depending which way the wind is blowing...it can stink.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 86
2. Re: Is Hinton a viable option

Here is a recent thread on the Hinton question:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154917-i464-k55451…

Besides the driving issue (approx. one hour each way from Jasper townsite), for me, it's a question of aesthetics. Hinton is a somewhat grungy industrial town. I had never thought of it in these terms before, but the last comment in the thread linked above, with the description of Hinton as "strip malls separated by divided highway" is bang right on. I strongly suggest you take a "walk-about" (drive-about?) with google streetview - www.maps.google.com (drag and drop the little orange person icon in the top left onto any of the highlighted streets).

Hinton has some newer chain hotels, but none that would be in the luxury category. Also, for dining, I'm not sure that you will find much other than chain and fast food restaurants there.

If you like to leave your car at your hotel in the evening, and walk to dining, stroll around town, window-shopping, people-watching and just soaking up the ambiance, I would recommend staying in Jasper. Have you tried Alpine Village, and the Grove suites at Patricia Lake Bungalows? They seem to get consistently good reviews and comments here on TripAdvisor (and Jasper Park Lodge doesn't, despite its price tag and Fairmont affiliation).

Edited: 11:13 am, July 17, 2012
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 86
3. Re: Is Hinton a viable option

Small clarification - the properties I mentioned in my last paragraph are not within Jasper townsite, so you can't park your car and stroll around downtown from them. They're a short drive away (10 minutes or less). I mentioned them specifically because of the consistent good feedback about them here on TA.

I know that many of the Jasper hotels have inconsistent reviews; I think the main reason for this is basically "sticker shock", and unmet expectation. People have expectations based on the price, but don't factor in that the high rates are based on high seasonal demand... they think a $250 hotel room will be on the upscale side, rather than quite average. In the off-season, those rooms sit empty most of the time, even at $129.

Scotland
4. Re: Is Hinton a viable option

Many thanks - have just sent a request to Patricia Suites for availability, and I take your (very good) point about Hinton.

Scotland
5. Re: Is Hinton a viable option

Thanks for second email - yes, I am factoring the 'sticker shock' in and am happy to pay $300-$350 for a really nice room without expecting the Ritz.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 66
6. Re: Is Hinton a viable option

You might like Overlander Mountain Lodge, which is between Hinton and the park boundary. Amusingly, TA thinks it's inside Jasper park (perhaps because of their choice of mailbox), but it isn't; it's close though.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g154917-d185691…

Scotland
7. Re: Is Hinton a viable option

Many thanks, am now checking this option out

Hinton, Alberta...
reviews: 3
8. Re: Is Hinton a viable option

Hinton is a great option, there are many things to do in Hinton

www.hinton.ca

Miette Hot Springs is only a 30 minute drive from Hinton

Great golf course at a good price,

Beaver board walk is also a great thing to do.

One of the best bike parks in Alberta

www.bikehinton.com .

Hike the Big Horn trail

Switzer Park

www.albertaparks.ca/william-a-switzer.aspx

A very good skate board park if you have kids that skate board or bike.

A very extensive trail system for hiking in and around the Hinton area.

New Spray Park, located at the Hinton Rec Center.

This one is for KRP392, have you ever looked beyond Safeway or Walmart when you come to Hinton to buy your supplies. Don't get me wrong I love Jasper has much has you, but Hinton is not a Grunge town as you have stated. I think Hinton has one of the nicest views of the Canadian Rockies, not to mention the beautiful Eastern Slopes

Edited: 2:33 pm, August 29, 2012
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 15
9. Re: Is Hinton a viable option

We have stayed at the Sawridge and it's quite nice. It's on the edge of town and you don't have to drive far to enjoy the town.

Edmonton
reviews: 4
10. Re: Is Hinton a viable option

You could also try Becker Chalets. It's not in town, but in a beautiful setting.

I don't know your dates, but you could also try this -

tripadvisor.ca/VacationRentalReview-g154918-…

Edited: 9:35 pm, August 29, 2012