We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greyhound

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
York, United Kingdom
reviews: 2
Greyhound

I have been checking out modes of travel between Jasper and Vancouver.I know that if I use Greyhound that it will take around 15 and 1/2 hours (gulp) and has one transfer.I am guessing this will be in Vancouver as thats where I got the bus from last year when I was staying there.Does anyone know just out of curiosity what route the bus takes from Jasper to reach Vancouver.I had considered taking the train but that takes 20 hours.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
1. Re: Greyhound

I am not 100% sure which route it takes after Kamloops, but from Jasper to Kamloops, there is only one (direct) route - west on highway 16, and then south on highway 5. After Kamloops, I am not sure if the bus takes the Coquihalla highway (#5), which would be the quickest, most direct route, or whether it goes via the TransCanada (hwy #1). Because of the time, I am guessing it takes highway #1 (driving the other route is about 8 - 10 hours, although I know a bus takes longer b/c of stops) - also, there are more communities to stop at along the TCH route. I think the transfer is likely in Kamloops.

The VIA train trip is longer, but more comfortable, in that there is more leg room and you can get up and walk around (and the washrooms are much bigger!) You can sit in the coach, you can get up and go sit in the dome car, you can go to the lounge and have a drink. The meals in the dining car are good; if that is more than you want to spend, you can buy snacks, sandwiches etc. at the snack bar (vs. on the Greyhound, making a mad dash for some junk food at a nearby convenience store, when the bus is stopped for ten minutes). However, the train trip only runs three times per week, and is an overnight trip - unlike Greyhound, which has a few departures each day.

If the costs are similar, I would definitely opt for the train over the bus.

York, United Kingdom
2. Re: Greyhound

Thanks very much for going to the trouble of finding out.It looks as though it will have to be the bus as the train doesn't run on the day we need to leave Jasper.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
3. Re: Greyhound

did you also check Brewster?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
4. Re: Greyhound

Brewster runs sightseeing tours between Jasper and Banff, and coach tours (multi-day holidays) between the Rockies and Vancouver, and an airport shuttle service between Banff and Calgary; however, they do not run scheduled bus service between Jasper and Vancouver.

Here is the webpage for their motorcoach division:

http://www.brewster.ca/motorcoach/

York, United Kingdom
5. Re: Greyhound

Thanks for checking that out,Greyhound it will have to be.

6. Re: Greyhound

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 16, 2011