We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jasper Fairmont hotel

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 27
Jasper Fairmont hotel

HI all,

I will be staying at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge and was wondering whether it is walkable distance to the town center (if there is one). If so, is it worth a trip down there?

Also, reading the negative comments about the food at the lodge, I'm planning to dine outside. Are there nearby restaurants that is within walkable distance? I won't be renting a car so everything is by foot. Will be spending 2 days there so any suggestions will be super!

Thanks

Calgary, Alberta...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Jasper Fairmont hotel

The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge is not within walking distance of Jasper townsite. In my opinion it is a totally inappropriate property in which to stay if you don't have a car.

Leicestershire...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Jasper Fairmont hotel

Hi giraffez

I'm no expert on the area, but, we stayed at Jasper Park Lodge for 4 nights in September 2006. There isn't anywhere near the lodge for dining other than at the lodge. The lodge does do meals in the bar area which we considered to be quite reasonable.

However the lodge does run a courtesy bus into Jasper during the day, from what I can remember the last bus into Jasper is at about 5.30pm (best to ask at reception). We used to get the last bus into Jasper, have a wander around the shops and an early drink, then, after we'd eaten we got a taxi back. Sorry, I can't remember the cost of the taxi. The lodge is within walking distance, we had friends who walked a number of times, but it does take 30-45mins.

If you do decide to eat in town I can recommend the ribs at Earls- they're unbelievable!!!! In fact anything there is pretty fantastic!!

lost in Ohio
reviews: 2
3. Re: Jasper Fairmont hotel

the JPL is a resort outside town. If you are staying there, plan on centering your time on that place. If you dont want a resort -- tennis, golf, shopping, etc., you might want to stay in town.

JPL has FOUR full service restaurants + two snack bars. You can find any type of food at any price.

It''s hard to imagine visiting Jasper without a car. Maybe you could write back and let me know WHY you want to go to Jasper, and we can think about how you can get it done. When we go, Jasper is a place to sleep and eat and a base for seeing scenery, going hiking, rafting, skiing, etc etc. Some of these things can be accessed by hiring transportation -- but think about what you are hoping to remember about Jasper and we can think about how to make that happen

Australia
4. Re: Jasper Fairmont hotel

Thanks all.

I'm going on a tour and have a free day in Jasper - the tour accommodation is with fairmont hence the reason I'm there to stay for the night.

What is there to do/see in the town center? Maybe i'll just take a bus down there in the morning

lost in Ohio
5. Re: Jasper Fairmont hotel

Not much. There are lots of little shops selling souvenirs. There is a visitor center in a wonderful old building. There is the old train station and the totem pole. There are beautiful views of Mr Edith Cavell over the train station looking southwest. There are places to eat. There;s a bank. And that';s about it.

Calgary, Alberta...
reviews: 3
6. Re: Jasper Fairmont hotel

There are companies that operate day tours to the Maligne Valley. They typically include a visit to Maligne Canyon and to Maligne Lake (sometimes with the optional cruise across Maligne Lake to Spirit Island). If I am not mistaken, SunDog and Brewster are amongst the companies that operate these day tours.

There also is a shuttle bus from Jasper townsite to the base of Whistlers Mountain, where you can catch a tram (cable car) up the mountainside.

To my mind, it is disingenuous of a guided tour company to give you a free day in Jasper or in Lake Louise. It's one thing to be given a free day in Rome, Paris or London. It's entirely another matter to be given a free day in Jasper or Lake Louise. These latter destinations are places where you need WHEELS.

I hope to goodness your guided tour company will take you to Moraine Lake when you're in the Lake Louise area. That is another trick that some of them pull. They take you to Lake Louise, give you a free day there, and don't take you to Moraine Lake.

Moraine Lake is at the end of a side road, 9 miles or 14 km from Lake Louise. Pretty as Lake Louise is, Moraine Lake is prettier still (provided you get there once the lake has fully thawed, usually the second week of June onwards). If your guided tour company does not take you to Moraine Lake, I strongly recommend that you do whatever it takes to get there. There is a shuttle bus from the village of Lake Louise (which, in turn, is 3 miles or 5 km from the lake of Lake Louise, where Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise is located). In addition to that, you can get there by taxi from Lake Louise.

And let us HOPE that your guided tour company will stop to let you see Peyto Lake when they drive you up the Icefields Parkway (Hwy #93), from Lake Louise to Jasper.

lost in Ohio
7. Re: Jasper Fairmont hotel

I agree with Judy 200%. First, Jasper and Banff are all about GETTING OUT THERE and you cannot get going unless you can either drive to see the scenery or get to the trailhead to hike.

Ditto on Maligne Road-- one of the most fab roads for wildlife and amazing sights. In fact, just driving Maligne Road is a fun day even if you dont do anything else.

Ditto on Moraine Lake just down the hill from Lake Louise. My personal fav. Make them take you there. The view is so fab they put it on the back of the money.

Ditto on Bow Summit (Peyto Lake).

The Rockies are the most fabulous place in the world. But you will gain so very much by getting out of the bus and walking a little. Every step will be a reward, as the marvels to see, even with a KM or two of the road are spectacular.

Judy has named some of the truly great ones -- the list could go on almost forever.

Australia
8. Re: Jasper Fairmont hotel

Thanks CanadaRockiesNut and Judy in calgary.

Yes the tour will be taking us to on a Maliagn lake cruise but thats about it. Actually, we have a choice between a scenic drive up to Malign Lake and Medicine Lake or the cruise to Spirit Island. Which do you think I should take?

Australia
9. Re: Jasper Fairmont hotel

I'll be going in May, I've been told Moraine lake is still closed as the lake has not thawed.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 87
10. Re: Jasper Fairmont hotel

It is walkable, although you will probably only want to do it one way, and then taxi back or take a JPL shuttle if one is available. The front desk staff can direct you to where the trail leaves their property - it's near Point and Outlook Cabins, you cross the outlet stream from Lac Beauvert, then via trail 7 along the Athabasca River to the Old Fort Point road (or the trail along Lac Beauvert to the road), cross the highway and walk right in to the downtown area on Hazel Street. This would probably take 40 or 50 minutes and would be four km or so. However, parts of that area can be closed during the elk calving season in late May and into June, so definitely ask first. Even if it is open, keep your eyes open for cow elk, which tend to congregate there in the spring - they are very ornery at that time of year (sometimes chasing/attacking people), especially if there are newborn calves around. Also, watch for the osprey nest on the pole near the river (about halfway between JPL and the Old Fort Point parking lot) - they will be back by then.

I have always found the food at the lodge to be exquisite... and extremely expensive.