We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Cavell area WILL be open in summer 2013!! :)

Which Jasper National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
The Cavell area WILL be open in summer 2013!! :)

Hey everyone... It was just posted today on the official Jasper National Park facebook page that the Mt. Edith Cavell day-use area will be open this coming summer, starting in June. The upper Path of the Glacier trail will be open (this is where you access the Cavell Meadows trail, although that trail usually doesn't open until late June or early July, once the meadows have a chance to dry out a bit so as not to be damaged by hikers), but the lower portion of the trail and the picnic area will remain closed. There will be a park interpreter on hand all summer, with information about the glacial history and last August's ice fall. https://www.facebook.com/JasperNP

salsa savant
reviews: 10
1. Re: The Cavell area WILL be open in summer 2013!! :)

This is great news, thanks for posting!

Mogi das Cruzes...
2. Re: The Cavell area WILL be open in summer 2013!! :)

That means Angel Glacier and Cavell Pond will be open too? That is awesome news.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
3. Re: The Cavell area WILL be open in summer 2013!! :)

It means you will be able to see the Angel Glacier and Cavell Pond. It does say, though, that the lower Path of the Glacier trail will remain closed, and I think this includes Cavell Pond. The best view of the Angel Glacier has always been from the Cavell Meadows trail. There are several viewpoints once the trail leaves the forest and comes out into the more open meadows.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
4. Re: The Cavell area WILL be open in summer 2013!! :)

This is good to know! Thanks for passing on the info, Krp.

San Francisco...
reviews: 24
5. Re: The Cavell area WILL be open in summer 2013!! :)

Thanks for the info OP. I was planning on doing the Path of the Glacier trail (one that is easy) Upper trail is the difficult one?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
6. Re: The Cavell area WILL be open in summer 2013!! :)

bump

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
7. Re: The Cavell area WILL be open in summer 2013!! :)

Just noticed I had never responded to yatrika's question ... since the lower part of the Path of the Glacier trail will be closed, that walk will no longer be a loop, so you would walk out the upper part of the path (which is also the beginning of the Cavell Meadows hike), and then when you have gone as far as you want to go, turn back and retrace your steps to the parking lot. The first part of the trail is fairly level (a slight ascent) and paved, and runs along the lateral moraine of the glacier; you'll come to a point where it branches to the left and begins to ascend switchbacks (to get up and over the moraine and then continue switchbacking up through the forest to the meadows). I don't know exactly what Parks Canada will do with the Path of the Glacier trail (the area has been closed since last August's ice fall) ... I imagine it may continue a bit beyond the turn-off, to a viewpoint overlooking Cavell Pond. According to their website, they are going to have staff and volunteers up there all through the summer to answer questions and give out information about the glaciers and last summer's ice fall.

Sandakan, Malaysia
reviews: 27
8. Re: The Cavell area WILL be open in summer 2013!! :)

Thanks for the info, Krp. One question, though. I will happen to be in Jasper on June 4, and am wondering whether the Cavell Road (and the Glacier trail) would have opened by then. I realize this time of the month is "borderline", but any past experience or indication would be useful. Thanks in advance for any information!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
9. Re: The Cavell area WILL be open in summer 2013!! :)

I can't remember if it was on the website or the facebook page, but JNP staff indicated that they have repairs to do to the road and parking areas, and are hoping to have the road open by June 15 (which would be around the normal time that it opens most years).

PA
reviews: 8
10. Re: The Cavell area WILL be open in summer 2013!! :)

Any update on the Cavell area? Thanks.